Silestone et al [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Silestone et al

mjpesp
05-11-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm trying to do some comparison shopping for manufactured quartz tiles/countertop materials. But I can't find any one place where they are evaluated as a group.

Anyone know where I can find that? Like Silestone. Or Technistone?

Thanks,
Martin

Sponsored Links

Davy
05-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Hi Martin, I can't help you but I can bump you back to the top. Maybe someone else knows something about it. :)

JPicasso
05-12-2005, 08:17 AM
I'm going to be using manufactured quartz tiles for my kitchen later this summer,
everything I've read is that they function very much like granite tiles, except
you do not have to take the time to seal them every few years.

They seem to be less expensive than most granite but the color selection is limited also.

slyangel9
05-12-2005, 08:25 AM
I just had Silestone installed in my house and I love it. The main reason I bought it was because it is equivalent to Granite but no sealing. I went to Home Expo and got a sample, then I went home and tested it with a boiling pot. This is the best way to test!!!

pray4surf
05-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Silestone (slab) installed in my kitchen and I'd do it again... :yipee:

Stone purists here will disagree (refer to installers as 'hacks', 'bottom feeders', etc.) :tongue:

You won't get the random variations as you'd get with a natural stone, and cost can approach that of stone...

RE: the SileStone TV ad, "I'm Blue Sativa" :cool:

Look to other posts of mine for links to pics

Rick

mjpesp
05-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Is there any difference between Silestone and any other of these quartz 'stones'?

John Bridge
05-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I'm no authority, but I like the look of Silestone as compared to some of the others. And in my experience the same guys who fabricate granite fabricate Silestone. I've never heard the "bottom feeder" thing. Again, though, I'm not a stone pro. :)

cej22
05-12-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm no expert, but I think the composition of the engineered stones is essentially same with the only significant difference being color. I prefer the Cambria colors and I used them for my slabs, but I am going with Silestone tiles in one bathroom in order to save some money. I did the dry layout and cutting today and will set the tiles tomorrow.