Floor Accent Tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Floor Accent Tiles

jlbos83
05-18-2002, 09:28 PM
So, we have footers and a stem walls, tiling can't be far behind! Anyway, my wife has got a picture in her head, it looks like this. Saltillo look-a-like tiles, corners cut off to allow 4 inch or so accent tiles at each corner. These accents are to be a variety of pretty strong colors, blue, red, yellow, green, purple, orange....sort of randonly spread about. The colors she is thinking of here are the ones you often see in wall tiles, which leads to the problem, we haven't been able to locate anything in a floor tile that will do the job. One dealer has (actually will be getting soon) some glass mosaics that are 9 to the sq ft rather the usual 144. These might do, but the colors look kind of like they are under a translucent haze. The other possibility is a DalTile line called Natural Hues, which looks like just the thing (at least based on colors available) on their website, but a DalTile dealer started talking about special order, minimum order, full boxes, and wasn't really very encouraging.
So the question is, does anyone know of a suitable tile for this purpose? I haven't figured out the details, but I expect we will need about 100 tiles each in 5 or so colors(about 1200 sq ft tile total, field using 18" squares, accent at every corner).
Thanks for any ideas,
Jeff

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
05-18-2002, 09:46 PM
Not too long ago I'm sure it was DalTile and possibly Florida Tile that offered a system of creating your own mosaic wall murals. There exists a computer program that will aide with the design and choosing of the proper colors. Portrait photographs can in fact be duplicated in tiles using this method.

I realize this isn't exactly what your wanting to do but it should be a source for the tiles your seeking. I know this program offers any number of tiles you need in hundreds of colors. You buy tiles by the "each" and not by the case.

I would suggest you contact a gal in Grand Island Nebraska that specializes in such things and get her rocomendations.

Go to a search engine and look for a company called "Cat Tiles" I forget her named but have talked with her several times by phone and she is very knowledgeable. In fact last summer she taught a class at the Ceramic Tile Education Foundation in South Carolina.

The Executive Director there is Dave Gobis (a close friend here) and he would be able to tell you how to contact her. You can reach Dave at dave@tileschool.org.

In the meantime I'll see if I can find her for you also.

jlbos83
05-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info, Bud, I'll see what I can find.

I had another thought, there are talavera tiles in colors that might do fine, but can they survive the floor? I haven't found the difinitive answer on that in the last five minutes. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Jeff

Bud Cline
05-18-2002, 10:17 PM
Try this email address for Cat Tile designs:mosaictiledesign@webtrix.net

jlbos83
05-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Bud. Will try it out!