How to deal with 1" height difference on floors... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with 1" height difference on floors...

mugentuner
04-08-2005, 10:29 AM
I am trying to figure out how to deal with the transition between an outside step that connects to my newly poured patio slab (cured). I have already started tiling the patio but need to know the best way of dealing with a 1" height difference between the patio (1" higher) and the step. I was thinking some type of floor threshold to the patio slab from the steps that would at least show someone that there is a 'step up' to the patio.

I have thought out three different scenarios on this:

(1) Pour Portland cement 1" higher on step to make the floor transitions even. (I really would not want to do this and worry about cracking e.t.c. :bang: )

(2) Install a metal floor threshold where the 1" height difference is (hopefully people would see there's a threshold there and step up

This is what i had came up with so far. What would you guys say on this? I just don't want anyone to trip on this (as well as putting up various 'watch your step' signs). I'm sure you guys have better advice for me out there :idea:

Sponsored Links

Mike2
04-08-2005, 01:49 PM
How about a first name tuner? :)

From your description it sounds like you have increased the rise (by +1") of that last step leading up to the patio. If this is the case that is a safety hazard. Can't have stairs with different riser heights. Before going any further, better take a checkpoint with you...am I getting this right? A picture of this problem area sure would be nice to see.

jdm
04-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds to me like right now the steps are even, but just beyond the top of the steps there is a 1" step up to the new tile. If I am correct, then #1 would create the situation Mike describes. Either way (a 1" step or non-uniform risers) is dangerous.

But Mike is correct -- more info and preferably pictures are needed.

mugentuner
04-08-2005, 02:06 PM
How about a first name tuner? :)

From your description it sounds like you have increased the rise (by +1") of that last step leading up to the patio. If this is the case that is a safety hazard. Can't have stairs with different riser heights. Before going any further, better take a checkpoint with you...am I getting this right? A picture of this problem area sure would be nice to see.

Dwight <<

What happened was the concrete contractor poured the patio slab level with some existing steps on opposite side (west side) of house. When they came to the opposite side of house (north side), the other steps would be 1" lower than the first steps. Therefore the 1" drop in height at the 2nd steps (these steps were lower than the slab poured level with 1st steps).

I think the trip hazard from 1" difference in height is really worth correcting :uhh:

mugentuner
04-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Sounds to me like right now the steps are even, but just beyond the top of the steps there is a 1" step up to the new tile. If I am correct, then #1 would create the situation Mike describes. Either way (a 1" step or non-uniform risers) is dangerous.

But Mike is correct -- more info and preferably pictures are needed.

No, the poured slab was already 1" higher than the problem steps before I started tiling. I need to get out that old Fujitsu digital and try to snap a pic. :laugh2:

mugentuner
04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
OK guys,
here's some pics i promised.

The step on the right is the existing steps that are 1 inch lower (about 1 1/4" lower with tiles) than the poured slab. Really looking forward to the advice :bow: By the way, the patio slab will be screened off and we plan to put a door where the steps meet the patio slab. As they say in demo work, 'Pardon our dust' :cool:

John Bridge
04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Well if the screening is going right at the tansition, can't you just use a threshold?

Shaughnn
04-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd vote for a threshhold also.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn

sailfishoney
04-12-2005, 02:07 AM
OK guys,

The step on the right is the existing steps that are 1 inch lower (about 1 1/4" lower with tiles) than the poured slab. Really looking forward to the advice :bow: By the way, the patio slab will be screened off and we plan to put a door where the steps meet the patio slab. As they say in demo work, 'Pardon our dust' :cool:this sounds like a cover up but can you add a small knee wall and call it a plant stand. at least it would be safer.
and plan b, in your picture it does not look like you put many tiles down on higher side. take that down to lower level. I know it would be a project, but maybe concrete company that poured it (if its new) will do that for you.

sailfishoney
04-12-2005, 02:10 AM
OK guys,

The step on the right is the existing steps that are 1 inch lower (about 1 1/4" lower with tiles) than the poured slab. Really looking forward to the advice :bow: By the way, the patio slab will be screened off and we plan to put a door where the steps meet the patio slab. As they say in demo work, 'Pardon our dust' :cool:pull out some of the lower tiles and flash it gradualy and make a gradualy slope. thats easly done and build a form and fix that others problem so it will all be one level. then make a new step all the way across

mugentuner
04-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Well if the screening is going right at the tansition, can't you just use a threshold?

That would be my idea as well. Guess I'll go up to my tile supplier and see what they could offer. Thanks John.