Shower Bench [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Bench

J Bone
03-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi All-

First of all just wanted to say that this is great forum and I've learned a lot "hanging around" in here doing research and reading posts/pics for the last month before I signed up and decided it was time to get my project going.

I am in the very preliminary stages of planning a remodel of a half bath into a full bath. I am going to use the Kerdi shower , after hearing about the ease of installation for DIY'ers and its endorsement by John and others who like it just as much as a mud job. (And yes, I have finally convinced myself to use regular drywall as a substrate!) :) I want to use a 32 X 60" kit, but I have a question regarding the installation of a bench in the shower...

Originally, I was going to build a masonry bench (inside the tray) that is detailed on this site, however, after talking to a Schluter rep. (Dave), he pointed out the following:

A) The Kerdi tray may eventually fail due to the weight of the blocks, and
B) If I were to build the bench outside the base, the tray really shouldn't be cut more that a couple of inches on each side.

Since that seems to be out, I guess my options are as follows:

1. Eliminate the bench altogether (not a big deal.. we don't have to have it).

2. Build a mortar bed and not use the Kerdi shower tray, which is more
difficult to do and I like the idea of just setting the preformed tray in a bed of mud.

3. Can I build a bench from 2x's and plywood, but have it supported entirely by the wall studs, meaning the 2x4 support braces underneath "tie in" at an angle to the studs, and then I can still use the base?

Please advise if option #3 would be feasible...frame it out this way, sheath it with plywood, and then cover with Kerdi.

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links

jdm
03-07-2005, 02:36 PM
There is also the "Better Bench" system, which is a shelf-type bench that is designed to be mudded and tiles. I think there is a way to resolve the issue of the installation harware puncturing the Kerdi.

JTG
03-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't build your bench and then run the Schluter tray right up to it. Then when you install the Kerdi it will flow down the wall, over the bench and onto the tray. We have done many this way.
J

hockeydude
03-07-2005, 02:46 PM
JDM is correct, the Better Bench product is the way to go ( I am installing Better Bench in my Kerdi 32"x60" Kerdi steam shower :yipee: Use "search" tab above to find related postings and postings on how to deal with installation of the bench/ sealing holes :)

Good luck

J Bone
03-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys - Sounds like that Better Bench may work out good, I'll just have to see how to install it so it's watertight.

jdm - When you say install the tray right up to the bench, do you mean that it's OK to cut the tray let's say the length and depth of a cinder block? Will I have any issues with the tray not draining right b/c I cut it or will it be OK? I only have 60" for the shower, so building the bench outside the 60" tray length would be out of the question.

Jon