New title shower install [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : New title shower install

ANiak
02-25-2005, 07:15 AM
New to the board and a little dazed and confused.

I have been reading a lot of the posts and have a pretty good idea on how to build a watertight shower but would like to get your comments on a few thoughts.

Due to water damage to the green board I have replaced it with a cement board and plan to put a membrane on the board. I plan to use Laticrete’s watertight product or should I use Hydraflex from TEC or Redgaurd.

I plan set 3x8 porcelain tile with a Tec’s SuperFlex Latex Modified Thin Set Mortar or should I use some other product.

I plan to grout the tiles with Latcrete’s SpectraLock to get the added protection of an epoxy type grout.

My question to you, who have gone before me, can I mix different vendors products and am I using the best products out there.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
02-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Mixing vendors for thinset vs grout vs membrane should not be an issue.

You mentioned adding a membrane to the CBU...do you have a vapor barrier between the studs and the CBU? If so, no need for the membrane

Do a search on Spectralock here on the forum. I have not used it but I hear there are some quirks associated with it's application

Jason

ANiak
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
I thought about the barrier on the other side of the CBU but did not want to trap moisture(from the outside) between the barrier and the paper on my insulation. One of the shower walls is on an exterior wall. Yesterday I had the siding peeled back and new ply wood put on because the last shower leaked so bad. Contractor said shower must have been leaking for 6 or 7 years to do this kind of damage. Never would have noticed by just looking at the shower tile.