1st project - small bath floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 1st project - small bath floor

tomh
02-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Here goes my first tile project. I've studied the posts, read Tile your world (great book), and the Ditra manual. This is going to be a long road since I plan to eventually tile over 1000 sq ft.

This first project is a small (5.5' x 4.5') bathroom. Deflecto said I have a deflection of L/600 (2 by 10's with 14" on center by 11' span). I plan to use Ditra. Looking at the Ditra manual, it appears I need 5/8" plywood. Is this correct? What if I do not know the quality of the existing plywood?

The floor had vinyl on it. While the Ditra manual said I did not have to remove it, I followed John's advise in "Tile your World" and removed it anyway. I wanted to see it there was any water damage to the floor. It was fine, but, I feel better knowing it is dry.

My second question is about the PVC toilet flange. The room is above my garage and I can get to it very easily. Since it will have to be raised after the tile is done, I believe I should cut the PVC and remove it. I'll reinstall it once the project is done. Would you agree?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Davestone
02-20-2005, 07:23 PM
I don't think you'll have to raise it unless it is below the face of the tile.You could look at the ply inside the toilet flange opening,or just add a layer of ply. :)

GregO
02-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Tom,

Correct, Ditra's minimum is 5/8" plywood or OSB. If you have access to any of your flooring from underneath, look at the underside and you should see manufacturer's stamps indicating plywood size and type (e.g, PS I-95 16/32", exterior glue). Of course, this only tells you the bottom layer of ply if there is more than one layer. If you can't tell the total plywood thickness by looking/measuring where any pipes might pass through the flooring, you could also take a "core" sample by cutting out a hole core from your flooring in an inconspicous area (using a 1/2" hole saw bit). If you have the height available for more plywood, I would add at least 3/8" exterior grade, BC plywood and then your Ditra.

As for your PVC toilet flange, while you could use flange extenders or extra wax rings, a better solution would be to cut the pipe and then reinstall a new flange tightly screwed on top of your finished floor.

Good luck,

Greg

tomh
02-20-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advise. I'll definately have to cut the flange. There was a ton of wax, it looked like the previous owner tried to fix it with wax. The PVC pipe in the garage was wet. The flange is so tight that I'm sure it will not clear. Again, I appreciate the advise. I hate to cut anything without making sure.

The subfloor is 1" thick, so I believe I'm ready to buy the thinset, Ditra, and proceed with the project.

tomh
02-20-2005, 09:32 PM
The sink is blue and matches the toilet. The previous owners' son appears to have used it as an ash tray. One of its corners is very yellow and discolored. My better half has worked very hard to remove the discoloration and she says we need to replace it. Any ideas how to get the yellow out or am I looking at replacing it. Forgive me for asking, but you all are so knowledgable - I figured I would try.

Mike2
02-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Hi Tom, welcome. :)

I don't think you pick up on the message....your wife hates the sink and wants it outa there. Blue potty will follow. Yellow discoloration has little to do with it. :yeah:

tomh
05-27-2005, 05:48 PM
I wanted to thank you for the advise and humor. The floor turned out great. I did not have to cut the flange. It had enough slack that I put some small pieces of plywood under it and it was just the right height with the tile.

The "Tile Your World" book was also a great source of information.

Thanks Again!