shower curb [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower curb

smokin joe
01-14-2005, 11:13 PM
hi guys. Would you use redgard as a shower membrane or would you use pvc? what would the differances be? I think for one you could eliminate knotching the stud for pvc.any other pro's and con's :uhh: any help would be appreciated. :bow:

Sponsored Links

Unregistered
01-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I have not done a liquid membrane shower myself so I can not comment but I too would like to hear what others have to say about it…………..Todd

TGR
01-15-2005, 12:34 AM
Ooooooooppppppppppps ....forgot to sign in, Todd

cx
01-15-2005, 08:04 PM
I would use the PVC. I just don't see any advantage at all to using RedGuard as a pan liner - takes longer, costs more, less history, etc. I just feel more comfortable with a real membrane under there.

Not to say there aren't other applications in a shower the lend themselves quite well to the use of RedGuard or one of the other paint-on membranes, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

John Bridge
01-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Joe, Welcome. :)

I agree with CX. Given the choice I'd use PVC. :)

smokin joe
02-19-2005, 10:05 PM
hi guys, the question is: i'm trying to make fat mud but i can't find where to buy masonry cement or portland lime. hd and lowes don't carry these products in hawaii.also for sand they only carry coral sand.i know that quikrete makes these products.can i just use regular portland. where do you get the construction lime.thanks for any help. joe

muskymike
02-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi Joe, you can use just mortar mix that comes in the bag or mason mix.

cx
02-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi, Joe. Please keep all your questions about this project on one thread so everyone can keep up with the history and know what's going on, what's been asked and answered, and avoid confusion and duplication. I've merged your two most recent threads; we can change the title if you like. :)

Tough to believe Homer doesn't carry Masonry cement or Mason's mix of some kind, Joe. You sure you're axin' the right "expert inna isle"?

If not, there are gonna be suppliers for the stone masonary trades there somewhere, and they'll have a better selection of the really good products, anyway. Look for "Moke's Masonary Supply," or Kamaina Concrete Supply," or "Big Island Brick and Mortar," or something like that. I know they didn't stop building stuff over there when I left. :)

My opinion; worth price charged