Where to Start? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Where to Start?

rbkemp25
02-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Hello,

I need to tile a kitchen backplash and would like to know where the best place to start is on two walls that connect forming an L shape. Would I measure the combined length short wall + long wall, divide by half and start there to work outwards?

Thanks,
Royce

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
02-18-2005, 02:36 PM
That's one way, another is to treat each wall as an individual, balancing the layout and letting the corner take care of itself, and yet another is to make the corner look good, and let the chips fall where they may elsewhere.

I suggest you try a number of layouts to find one that gives you a pleasing overall look, taking into consideration the main view of the area and any appliances or accessories you may be planning on having in the countertop.

Or wait for a pro or interior designer to stop by and help you...:D

ChasR
02-19-2005, 12:34 AM
When doing an L shaped backsplash I like to start at each end with a full tile and work toward the corner, unless that leaves me with just a sliver in the corner.
Chas

John Bridge
02-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Unless there is a window/sink in one of the segments. :)

Hi Royce, Welcome aboard.

If there is a window over a sink, it's usually a good idea to balance the layout on both sides of the window. In other words, start with full pieces on either side and go away from the window in both directions. What happens at the ends of the wall, happens. On the other leg of the "L" you can start at the outside end and work into the corner, making your cuts there.

Unless you have a range with hood space on that segment, in which case you would want to balance the layout on the space above the range and work from there in both directions. ;)

stefan
02-19-2005, 06:40 PM
is your layout strait or diagonal
any decotile or so
all that may change the layout

John Bridge
02-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Stefan,

I have improved your signature and given life to your web address. :)

stefan
02-19-2005, 07:33 PM
thank you john
:)

Davy
02-19-2005, 07:42 PM
It's normally safe to agree with John. :) The raised area is where I also start if there is one. This is a utility room splash, same thing goes. :)

jdm
02-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Davy --

Nice utility room. Many would love a kitchen that nice.

John --

I was meaning to send Stefan a PM to explain how to make his URL a link. Thanks for saving me the effort. As with many things, it's easier to do than to write instructions for.

stefan
02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
hi jeff
I know as much about computer as stacies handyman knows about tile :)
I'm still working on, how to post a picture
thanks again john