cleoantony [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile


View Full Version : cleoantony

Bud Cline
07-15-2001, 03:09 PM
Here's a post from another forum, what do you guys think?
New Member posted 07-13-2001 04:16 PM
About a year ago I had tiles laid on a concrete slab, now some of them are lifting off of the floor, and sometimes I actually can hear cracking from under the tile. I was told that the floor was too smooth, and that the tile had nothing to grab on to. I was also told that I could drill a hole in the grout and squeeze in a glue like substance that would fill in the spots under the tiles that had not adhered to the floor properly. The problem is that I don't know what to use, or how to fix this problem. I am afaid that itm is wide spread, and that eventually all the tiles will loosen, and the area is almost 1000sq ft.

Please help!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
07-15-2001, 03:23 PM
Have any of you guys heard of this process of repairing/reattaching ceramic tiles?

I haven't either.

07-15-2001, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the product that is being used to lift sunken concrete.

But I don't know of anyone who has introduced this type of product for tile.

I would say this customer needs to have conversation with the installer, hope it's not in Hastings. Or South Florida for that matter.


07-15-2001, 07:05 PM
I know an installer who does work for a high production builder and when he has to fix a loose tile he sends a labourer to scrape out the grout and pour Weldbond around the perimeter and then grouts again.Sounds like a band-aid approach.

Bud Cline
07-15-2001, 09:12 PM
I have invited this consumer here to discuss this, I just hope he shows up. I asked him in another forum if this info came from a legit source or across a pool table on a saturday night but have had no response.

I have never heard of this either, I'd have to know a lot more about the process (if there is one) before I could pass judgement but at this two minutes it doesn't sound plausible to me.


With all that effort you have described, wouldn't it be just as easy to go a little further with a traditional fix. In my thinking once you have disrupted the grout your screwed anyway (color match) so you just as well fix it right.

Rob Z
07-15-2001, 09:24 PM
It sounds like the ultra low viscosity epoxies we learned about in the stone fabrication class would do this, but considering the cost and time to do such a large floor it would be impractical.


07-15-2001, 10:14 PM
I have never heard of this approach either but I agree with Ron that it,if it can even be done,would be a bandaid on a big wound that needs stitches.The cause must be determined before an effective method of repair can be implemented.

07-16-2001, 05:27 AM
The epoxie you reference,is it capable of getting under tile and/or thin set that has sheared? Esentially laying on the former with a hairline of space between.

If so, I suppose it would be worth looking at. Sure seems like it would be expensive, although with the alternative to compare it might be cheap.

Who makes this type of product?


Rob Z
07-16-2001, 07:12 AM

Braxton Bragg (and others) carry these stone repair epoxies. And yes, they are so thin I think they would get in there. They are used to get into thin cracks in stone and flow like water.

I think the stuff costs 15-20 a tube, and I could see using up a tube per tile, depending on just how bad things are underneath.


Bud Cline
07-17-2001, 12:18 PM
BOY DID I GET MY BUTT CHEWED out by this character (cleoantony), he/she didn't appreciate my sarcasm on another forum and he/she proceded to put me in my place now I'm tellin' ya.

I guess sometimes our comments aren't near as funny as we think they are, HUH?

He/she asked his/her question first at iFloors then Steve Simonson mistakenly sent him/her to were I picked up on him/her in a place he/she shouldn't have been and I sent him/her here for help. (via email.)

Now this sucker/suckee has turned up back at chewing my butt. He/she called me sarcastic. Can you imagine that? Me? Sarcastic? I don't see how!

C'mon in here cleoantony an let's get your tile fixed what do ya say?

Derek & Jacqui
07-17-2001, 03:29 PM
Read the post on Fi. we have name for that, we call it foot and mouth. To achieve open mouth wide insert ones foot
I am sure we had such a produgt in England.I know they had one to inject into concrete to stop it leaking. It was used on swimming pool in Falmouth.
I'll see if our son, who still lives in England can help out with product name