Use of Thin Set for Stud Furring [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Use of Thin Set for Stud Furring

Dale Chapman
02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
I have been reading this forum and have learned a lot. Thanks to all of you who make this forum an excellent resource. Finally, I have come up with a problem that I don't find a answer for in the forum.

I have been working on getting the walls in my shower area plumb and planar. Some studs required the removal of material while others needed to be brought out. To fur out the studs where needed, I ripped 2 by sections in thickness intervals of 1/8 inch. To make up differences that were less than 1/8 inch, and to make things really flat, I applied modified thinset to the studs or furring strips. My intention is to next put up a vapor barrier, Hardiback, etc.

Having gone through all of this I started worrying that the thinset on the studs will attract moisture and cause damage to the studs. I justified the use of thinset based upon the Hardibacker instructions of putting a layer of thinset between the Hardibacker and plywood in a floor installation. But this is not a floor application nor is it exterior plywood I am putting the thinset on.

Have I gone to a lot of time and effort to shoot myself in the foot?

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
02-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Dale, Welcome aboard. :)

Put your mind at rest. The wood itself would absorb moisture before the thin set would. It doesn't attract anything. Sounds like you've done a great job so far. ;)

cx
02-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Actually, I think the thinset won't be there even after you tack up your moisture barrier. Likely to pop right off them studs put on that thin. Maybe not, though.

I don't see a moisture issue, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Dale Chapman
02-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words on moisture damage.

I have worried about the thinset cracking away and holding the backer board away from the stud, but the tests I did early on indicated there would not be a problem. I had not thought about the moisture barrier, so I ran upstairs tonight and threw a few staples into the studs. Everything was well behaved.

This job is going so slowly that the thinset is very well cured. :)

I also "drive" the thinset very firmly into the wood. I will report back later when I really start hanging things on the wall. Not that I am trying to promote this as a way of getting the walls ready, I am just trying to fumble my way through.

rguyler1
02-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I too was worried about the thinset not staying on the studs when you attached the next layer(s) of material. When I read your post, I thought to myself that I might have hit the low spots with thinset on top of the Hardibacker rather than behind it. Or, another way might have been to sister another stud section or sections to the existing one and have it extend out by the amount of the gap.

Hopefully your way will work since you've already invested the time to do it. I know all too well about these drawn out projects... :bang:

Rik

John Bridge
02-03-2005, 07:25 PM
I guess for those who will read this thread in the future I should say that I wouldn't recommend this method. I think it will be okay in this instance, though. :)