Recommendations for tile setters in San Francisco Bay Area? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for tile setters in San Francisco Bay Area?

Unregistered
01-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen:

My name is Tony, and I'm writing from San Francisco. We're having a small upstairs bathroom remodelled (about 8' by 6') and would like to go wild with the marble (marble tile on the floors and on the interior of the shower, marble slab for the top of the vanity). I've read Mr. Bridge's views about marble on this site, and while I respect and have seriously considered them, I'm going to take the plunge anyway (and will probably later regret having done so).

My question: Can anyone recommend a tile setter who works in the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm looking for someone who really knows his or her stuff, beyond just basic familiarity with laying and grouting marble tile. For instance, we seem to be OK for stone under the "Deflecto" results, but I'd want the tile setter to have the knowledge and experience to be able to look at our structure first-hand and confirm (or refute) that conclusion with confidence. As another example, after going through various threads in these forums about subflooring, I definitely want a tile setter who will be sure to put down the correct subflooring. Knowledge of proper shower construction wouldn't hurt, either.

By the way, my hat's off to Mr. Bridge for this great site. I have the highest respect for him and all the other pros and DIYers here. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you fine folks. I just about have to be told which end of the hammer to hold!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tony

Sponsored Links

Bill Vincent
01-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Shaughnn-- this one looks like it's tailor made for you, buddy!! :)

Shaughnn
01-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks Bill and hi'ya Tony,
I'll write you through private mail and we can talk if you like? Since you aren't registered (tsk, tsk, tsk), I'll have to wait for you to send me mail first through my member profile.
Shaughnn

cx
01-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Welcome, Tony. :)

Young Shaughnn would certainly be a good choice for you. He'll want union scale, though. :shades:

And maybe you don't wanna git in no political discussions with him until after the tiles all been grouted. Or maybe you do. :D

Shaughnn
01-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Hey Kelly,
I'm Italian. When I talk, my hands move. And when I'm working with my hands, my mouth keeps the pace. But I don't know nuthin 'bout no "union scale". I always measure my dry goods by volume, not by weight. :D
And what do you mean by "young"? I may not recall the good ole days of fish pulling themselves onto shore by their vestigial feet or Hammurabi's first play-doh tablet press like some here claim, but my beard's grey and my joints creak from time to time.
Shaughnn
PS: Tony, are you still with us? Cause we're about to jump track and go off on a'nuther tangent so keep close. :rolleyes:

Unregistered
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Thank you all for your responses. Shaughnn, I'll write you over the weekend.

Tony

Shaughnn
01-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Tony,
You should drop "Tile Contractor Gal" a note also. I don't know what her schedule is but it never hurts to pit a few professionals against each other. :D
Shaughnn

John Bridge
01-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Who cares about a vestige of Hammurabi's play dough? :)

Tony,

You want marble, you get marble. :) I love the look of it.

flatfloor
01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
John, I think that was a play on words, Hammurabi's is a great bakery corner of Broad andMarket in SF. :)

Registered Guest
01-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Shaughnn, I sent you a private message via this site last night. Please let me know if you didn't get it. :wave:

Tony,

You want marble, you get marble. :) I love the look of it.
Well, John, I figure that if the Parthenon is still standing, I should be able to get at least a few years out of marble. ;)

Abby
01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi Tony,

In case you are looking for a third bid...my hubby works for a company called Honey-Do Remodel, a general contractor in the Bay Area. I personally bought John's book for hubby once he joined that firm because I knew he would be in charge of bathroom and kitchen remodels and wanted to be sure he could tile with the best of 'em. If you want contact info for Honey-Do, you can search for their website at honeydorepair dot com, or email me if you want hubby's name.

Not trying to take any business away from the other tile contractors on this site...I just know as a homeowner its good to get several bids. :)

Abby

Bill Vincent
01-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Well, John, I figure that if the Parthenon is still standing, I should be able to get at least a few years out of marble. ;)

Actually, the Parthenon is rough cut marble-- not polished. big difference. (been there) ;)