Replacing tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tiles

rugman8
01-18-2005, 05:54 PM
I got a call today to replace 2-3 rows of tiles around a tub/shower - sounds like the backing is soft. I need to remove them and replace sheetrock with backer board. Is there a way to re-use tiles? Also - how should I go about this job? I usually refer this out as I clean tile and grout but the guy I give it to is no longer around so I guess it is time to start doing some repair/replacement! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bob

Sponsored Links

kkowal
01-18-2005, 06:12 PM
i'm sure you will get plenty of replies here that not only is sheetrock a poor choice of material in wet areas but the whole area may require a complete re-do. if the 'backing' is soft, there is probably moisture behind and water wicking up the drywall. this could lead to mold behind the walls which requires removal of the mold. 'saving' the old tiles depends on many things like if for example the tiles were glued with mastic, you could cut out the drywall with the tiles on it and gently pry them off after. soak the tiles in water and scrape off the glue. it probably would'nt come off perfectly. personally i think this repair is alot of work and i think alot of the pro's here would recommend starting clean by ripping it all out and using backerboard and mortar the new tiles on. replacement of 2-3 rows in my opinion is just a 'bandage' solution and until you open up the area, you can't predict 100% what you are getting yourself into workwise. :crazy:

abadowski
01-18-2005, 07:00 PM
If you are interested in reusing the tiles I was told that you can boil them for 10 minutes and all the adhesive on the back will come off with a quick wiping with a doodle pad