Master Bath [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Master Bath

TxMoose
01-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering if you all have any gotcha's to look out for. I am just about to the tile stage of my master bath remodel. The cast iron tub is in place, vapor barrier hung, and I'm getting ready to hang my 1/2" thk. hardi backer for my tile. This is in a single story home on a slab. I've laid some tile previously, laundry room & kitchen floors & kitchen backsplash. However I haven't tackled the larger tiles on the wall (mine are 12" sq). I was going to thin set for attaching NOT mastic. Thanks for the help, any pointers or tips are definitely welcome. Please feel free to point me to another thread that might have the info.
TxMoose
Spring, Tx

Sponsored Links

Steven Hauser
01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Hello and welcome, :)

First things first is hanging the board. Follow manufacturer instructions.

http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboard/homeowner/hardibacker500_installation.php

I suggest taping the seams of the backerboard at the same time you tile. This will help with any potential peaking.

Start your layout on the back wall. Mark a plumbline in the center of the wall measuring from the side walls. Use your level to help. Don't start at the bottom because this may be where you have to cut tiles to make the layout correct.
You'll start your layout from the center and work your way to the corners. You want bick guts but you don't want a fat grout joint. ;)

Use your level a lot so that you don't have any surprise when you are done.

Plan on caulking the inside corners with 100% silicone. Or if you need a color and don't mind recaulking from time to time use the acrylic latex variety with midlew blocker.

That's enough to start.

:)

TxMoose
01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
You want bick guts but you don't want a fat grout joint. ;)
You lost me on that one, would you clear it up for me, & thanks for the pointers.

jdm
01-13-2005, 05:09 PM
He meant "big cuts". You want to arrange your layout so that the cut pieces at either corner are preferably more than 1/2 a tile. Not slivers.

I'll leave the psychological analysis to others.