should we keep open bags of leftover products? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : should we keep open bags of leftover products?

BlueCanyon
12-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi.
We're done with all the tiling aspects of the bath remodel :yipee: and we have more 1/2 full bags of stuff than you can believe. In 1-2 years we'll be tiling the kitchen and a 2nd bath; should we keep this stuff till then and use it, or just throw it away now? Does it have a shelf life when 1/2 used?

We have versabond, premium plus, and master blend thinsets. We have sand and we have mortar mix. We have grout - sanded and unsanded. We have glass block mortar mix. And I think there are a few other bags as well ....

Thanks - Mary Ann

Sponsored Links

jerrymlr1
12-13-2004, 08:29 PM
El pitchola. It'll be bad before you know it.

jadnashua
12-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, the sand is okay to keep, if you wish!

Shaughnn
12-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Mary Ann,
Sad to say, that most of the bagged cement products should be toast by the time you get around to those other projects. If they were only a few weeks away, I'd say tape the bags up really tight and store them in a warm dry place. Looks like the sand is the only thing without a shelf life, but that may be washed away by the time the next time you'll need it rools around.
But don't dispair! I would still store all of those bags until you do a Spring cleaning just in case you want to touch up something. I would also save a zip-lock sandwich bag full of each of your grouts (labeled and dated of course) just in case you need a sprucing up after the big bags have gone to landfill.
If you are so inclined, you could just play with the stuff and make fun things for your backyard or for gifts? Nothing says, "I love you on the holidays" like a big wad of Sandstone groutcut into the shapde of a shamrock with a cookie cutter. Don't forget to use the backside of your leftover tile to apply texture!!!
:yipee:
Shaughnn

Bri
12-13-2004, 08:38 PM
It won't be much good in a few months, but you should write down everything you used..brands, colours etc etc..just in case. :)

Unregistered
12-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the speedy replies - it's off to the trash they go.

I just can't get into working with thinset or grout for Xmas presents ... my fingernails and hands are already totally ruined and I would be happy if I never see the stuff again. (And I guess I won't, since it's going in the trash.)
Mary Ann

opiethetileman
12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Signal 86 them things will ya