Siliconized acrylic caulk [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Siliconized acrylic caulk

amyspaetzle
11-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm looking for a caulk to finish the corners of my kitchen backsplash. Siliconized acrylic caulk was recommended. The only color-matched caulk I could find was sanded. Is there such a thing as color-matched unsanded? My grout space is barely 1/8". I looked at the label but couldn't find the words silicone or acrylic in the ingredients. Am I better off going with Color matched sanded caulk or getting the plain old almond acrylic caulk or go with 100% Silicone? What's wrong with Silicone?

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
11-12-2004, 12:23 PM
I would rather use the unsanded caulk, yes, they make it in all colors:)

Some use 100% Silicone, I hate it and never will, you can't sponge or clean it with water like the others, what ever it gets on is a PITA to get off.:)

Mike2
11-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Amy
ColorFast will have your color-matched caulk in either unsanded or sanded. If you can't find locally, it's available on-line here. ColorFast Caulk (http://www.homesupplies4u.com/tile_grout_caulk2.htm) . I have been very pleased with this product.

tileguytodd
11-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Hydroment also has a full line of sanded and unsanded caulks to match thier colors.I'm sure you could find one very close.

Mike2
11-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Yep, what Todd say. So does Mapei, Laticrete, and even Custom's has a few.

amyspaetzle
11-12-2004, 01:13 PM
I live in Cleveland and have been to both Lowe's and HD. They don't carry unsanded color matched caulks. What's the downfall of using sanded in smaller joints?

Mike2
11-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Amy, in terms of caulking a 1/8" joint or slightly less, I see no downfall in using sanded. It's just a matter of looks. :nod:

amyspaetzle
11-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Humor me...is the sanded grainier and the unsanded smoother?
What's different about the "look". I'm concerned because I have several corners and they are in very visible areas in the kitchen and around the sink.

jadnashua
11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
They make different caulks so that the surface texture matchs the grout...if you used sanded grout, use sanded caulk and vice versa. The difference may not be much, depends...either will work.

Mike2
11-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Yes Terri. Sanded caulk will look somewhat grainier, just as sanded grout will. My experience with ColorFast caulk is it will look exactly or nearly exactly like your grout which is the reason I recommended it first.