Transitions between surfaces [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile


View Full Version : Transitions between surfaces

11-11-2004, 08:59 PM
I am tiling a bathroom, and have questions on how to make two transitions between surfaces.

The first transition is between the shower and the rest of the bathroom. The shower fills one end of the room, and will have tile floor to ceiling. A glass block wall will separate the shower from the rest of the bathroom. My plan is to install backer board in the shower and wallboard in the rest of the bathroom. The transition between the two materials will be covered by the glass block. The glass block will be laid before the tile goes on the wall. After the tile is on the wall in the shower I will caulk between the tile and the glass block. Is this the correct approach?

I am having more trouble deciding what to do with another transition. The design calls for tile from the floor to about 34 inches up the wall everywhere in the bathroom except in the shower. Above the tile will be a smooth painted surface. Most of the tile is plain white 4x4 tiles, but an expensive 3x8 tile will be used for a border at the top. Local suppliers have recommended that I use backerboard under the tile and drywall for the upper wall. To do this the top row of tile will span the joint between the two materials. This seems like a good way to have my most expensive tile fail. I would like to use a wallboard of some kind from floor to ceiling, and set the tile directly on the wallboard. Fiberock Aqua-Tough Interior Panels look like just what I need, but they are not available anywhere in Indiana. I only need 6 sheets so a special order is out of the question. If I drive for an hour I can get fiberglass-faced 1/2 inch Dens-Armor drywall. Green board is available locally. What is the best way to do this?

Jeff Burns

Sponsored Links

11-11-2004, 09:05 PM
The transition in the shower sounds fine to me.

Outside the shower you can tile right to the sheetrock, no need for backerboard or denshield. :)