What KIND of tile can I use for fireplace hearth & surround? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : What KIND of tile can I use for fireplace hearth & surround?

DonnaG
11-11-2004, 10:13 AM
What kind of tile can I use for use on brick fireplace surround (opening area) and hearth? What kinds can I use and cannot use? So many kinds out there.

Also, is it o.k. to tile right up to edge of hearth opening without a heat issue problem? If not, how far can I go?

Thanks,
Donna

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
11-11-2004, 10:45 AM
You can use any type of ceramic tile you want. They are fired in Kilns much hotter than your fireplace. You need a floor rated tile for the hearth for durability.

DonnaG
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks Bob. Does floor rated tile need to be a certain thickness? Is the ceramic still o.k. to tile right up to the edge of the hearth opening?

Donna

bbcamp
11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Floor rating is listed by the manufacturer. Thickness will vary between manufacturers and within a given manufacturer's product line.

Your biggest concern is with the thinset. Let it fully cure before starting a fire. The thermal mass of the hearth will keep things cool enough.