Tile Saw Safety [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile Saw Safety

Marge
11-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Could the pros here please chime in on the danger(s) of flesh coming in contact with the various types of wet saw blades? We have heard everything from it's difficult to cut yourself (certain blade types) to having to be very careful. Not wishing to conduct scientific studies using my own flesh, was hoping to get some facts here. I've got some porcelain and marble cuts pending that require small pieces and could use some advice. Thanks!

Marge

Sponsored Links

cx
11-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Be careful, Marge. :)

With a continuous rim diamond blade (one with a smooth perimeter and no slots in it) running wet it really isn't easy to hurt yourownself unless you manage to wedge a small body part between the blade and the table - not impossible, but not real likely, either. If you come into contact with the spinning blade and push hard against it, you can get a burn that will certainly make you wish you hadn't done that, but you'll still be able to count all the way to ten.

With a segmented blade, however, you must be much more careful. Chances are you'll never have such a blade on your wet saw.

You can turn the saw on, get the water running and touch your finger very lightly against the edge of the blade if you want to get an idea what it will feel like when you get too close with your small cuts. Don't do that when the blade is dry, it'll burn you right quick. And don't do this test with your fingernail, it looks kinda like a piece of tile to that blade. :)

Others may tell you it's dumb to touch the blade for any reason. Those people might be right, but it'll make you feel better about working around that saw. Just don't get careless - if you wedge your finger under that blade, you will very, very fervently wish you hadn't done that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Marge
11-11-2004, 12:11 PM
CX,

Thanks. I had a small piece of tumbled travertine get away from me a couple weeks ago which resulted in my fingers getting close to the blade and the travertine literally exploding. I've been a bit gunshy since then. My firm belief in using safety glasses (for even a 3 second cut) proved it's worth when that travertine exploded!

Marge
P.S. I think your advice is worth much more than I paid!

Rd Tile
11-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Also, don't get those fingers near a dry blade on an angle grinder, these will cut you.:)

opiethetileman
11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah look at me I now have 9 fingers thanks to a jamb saw that got me. And trust me im very safe to be around.

tileguytodd
11-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Keep telling the other nine fingers that Opie, they might believe you eventually ;)

Man i agree them jamb saws are wicked lil saws.almost as bad as a toe kick saw.

Kelly's got you on the right track about the diamond blade on your saw.
Respect it yes, but there is little reason to actually fear it.
I would be more afraid of a hammer cause ive whacked my thimb ,hand etc more times than i can count.
The worst thing a tilesaw is likely to do to you is strain your back (if you have a large pro model)when you lift it into the truck.:)