mothering wall studs and replacing floor sill [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : mothering wall studs and replacing floor sill

Toolinfool
11-10-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm doing my first shower. I've torn the old one out and now I'm down to some very rotten and molded studs and sill. It is a So. Cal. stucko house on a slab floor. I was told that I would have to "Mother" in the new studs and sill. My question is, can you tell me what this means and give me advise on the what is the preferd method to do this? I would also like to know about sealing the wall on the inside since the felt paper is gone. Thanks. Glen

Sponsored Links

jadnashua
11-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Basically, you add a second stud next to the existing one. Why it is called mothering is a little incestuous :) . Replacing the sill is a little harder - the studs need a firm support or essentially, the wall is just hanging there - it needs a firm base (i.e., it sits on the sill). You need to support the ceiling with a temporary wall while you take out the rotten sill, or you risk structural damage and cosmetic damage to the surrounding area if the ceiling falls. It also makes it much harder to put in a new sill! One of the structural guys should chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, and maybe fill in some details.

John Bridge
11-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi Glen, Welcome. :)

Jim pretty much covered it. I've always called it "sistering" or "partnering." This is the first time I've heard mothering. I like sistering better. :)

Sometimes you don't need to put in a full stud. It's enough to overlap the good part of the old one by two or three feet and screw the two together well. I'll see if I can find a picture for ya. :)

You'll notice that in the corners the old studs are still there. The "sisters" have been installed right along side them. Some of the studs and plates have been replaced entirely.

cx
11-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Must be a California thing, that mothering. Always been sistering or scabbing where I been. Not that I'm surprised to hear of something a little different coming outa California, mind ya. :)

But the process is the same, just get some new framing in there. The situation will dictate how and how much. You gotta end up with good wood to fasten into every place you need a fastener, and all those places should be plumb, square, and in-plane.

If the wall is load-bearing, find a way to support it a bit while you remove whatever really bad boards you wanna. You can usually remove a couple studs without any problems at all. If you hafta remove more than that in a row, we can 'splain you some easy ways to support the load while you're doing the repairs. Doesn't usually require anything real fancy.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Toolinfool
11-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey guys thanks for the pictures. I know that I'll have more questions later. Glen.