Kerdi and DensShield [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi and DensShield

Unregistered
11-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Just wanted to know why people don't use the Kerdi system with the DensShield product from Georgia-Pacific. If the Kerdi adheres to it the same way as drywall, it would seem like the densshield would be a superior substrate due to the waterproof nature of the densshield. I realize that Kerdi is totally waterproof, but I'm all about redundancy when I build things and the densshield would would definetely by a redundant waterproofing product.

Thanks
Dwayne
San Luis Obispo

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Dwayne, the only thing waterproof about Denshield is the surface. Inside, it's still gypsum. The problem is that you eventually punch a hole in the surface of Denshield, and the gypsum gets wet. If you had Kerdi installed over the Denshield, then it stays dry, but so would regular drywall. If you managed to punch a hole through the Kerdi, you probably punched through the waterproof surface of the Denshield. So, you don't gain anything for your money. Save your money for the mandatory adult beverages you consume during the shower christening. :D