slate tile install [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : slate tile install

lanceu
11-05-2004, 10:13 AM
First time post here - great forum though.

I have a house built in 1997 that I will be putting gauged slate tile in the kitchen, dining room, entryway and mud room. I have 3/4" OSB set on 16" I-joists at appx 20 OC. I took up the vinyl flooring and removed the 1/4" subfloor that it was glued to, so I am down to the 3/4" subfloor. I want to put in 1/4" cement tile backer by Durock. Can I staple the CBB with 1"-1-1/2" staples? ( that's a ton of screws if not!) I have appx 400sq ft to do. Any advice/help/warnings would be helpful

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
11-05-2004, 10:42 AM
3/4" OSB set on joists 20" OC will not be enough support for slate, and the 20" spacing will preclude the use of backerboard (any brand) as a tile underlayment. Also, your 16" I-joists need to have a deflection rating of L/720. Not knowing the unsupported span, I can't tell if you meet that requirement. Assuming your I-joists are OK, I'd recommend a 3/8" layer of exterior grade, BC or CC plywood, followed by a layer of Ditra, a membrane by the Schluter company.

But, to answer your question, no, you cannot staple the Durock to the floor. You must use CBU screws or roofing nails. The Durock must be set in a layer of wet thinset when you screw it down.

John Bridge
11-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Welcome aboard, Lance. :)

I agree with Bob (of course). :) I really like the idea of adding more plywood and the Ditra. Forget backer board in this instance.

http://www.schluter.com