Kerdi Advice needed... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi Advice needed...

Robert_Hughes
11-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi All,

Wow! Great message board.

We are in the process of building a new walk-in shower 7'6" X 5'5" with a neo angle entrance. Also, a large bench runs the back wall. The contractor framed it in and has hung green rock on all surfaces.

After finding this board and reading through it a bit, I see the recommendation is to build in the pan first and then build the bench over top to avoid leaks.

However, I noticed on Johns Kerdi page:
http://www.johnbridge.com/kerdi_shower.htm

it looks like the Kerdi is placed over the bench.

Question: Am I not seeing it right or is it okay to do this with Kerdi?

Thanks,

Robert Hughes

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
11-05-2004, 10:34 AM
You are seeing correctly, Robert. The beauty of a Kerdi shower is that the Kerdi is waterproofing and tile substrate in one layer. Your only concern is getting the framing properly braced, plumb and square. Check out Kerdi at www.schluter.com

BlueCanyon
11-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Robert,
What we did in our Kerdi shower was kerdi the whole thing - walls, floor, curb. Then we came back and built a monument bench (using the concrete blocks like you can read about in the liberry) on top of the kerdi. No need to put any waterproofing on the bench, since it is sitting on top of the kerdi.
Mary Ann

jgleason
11-05-2004, 05:16 PM
I did mine by framing everything, including the bench and then drywall followed by Kerdi over everything. I did put a 3/4ply top on the bench but covered that with drywall afterwards so every surface covered by Kerdi was drywall.

No need to build a monument bench over the Kerdi although that would work too as MaryAnn can attest!

John Bridge
11-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Welcome aboard, Robert. :)

Appears the folks have answered your question. Kerdi is very versatile. The only thing you might have to do is remove the drain if it has been installed.