Waterproofing Seat in shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing Seat in shower

Ray in Texas
11-05-2004, 08:37 AM
I'm making a shower with a seat across the back. Was moving along pretty good with the shower pan until i realized i have to cover the top of the seat too since it is flat and water may accumulate there. The seat is pressure treated wood and i'm planning on covering it with shower pan liner and then 1/2 inch backerboard, then tile. My questions are:
1). Do i need to put a portland/sand mix in between the backerboard and liner so the water can move toward the drain?
2). If i don't need the portland/sand mix how does the water find it's was through the thinset down to the drain?
3). If i don't need the portland/sand mix can i just create a slope by tilting the backboard slightly?
4). What about the holes the screws through the backerboard create?

I've seen the cement block seats on this site, but hope the method i'm doing is not totally wrong.

Sponsored Links

LGB
11-05-2004, 11:40 AM
What I typically do is install the board with a slight tilt so it drains and then use one of the paint on waterproof membranes. Be sure to flash it up the walls at the seat and do the whole front! I can't see any way to use the liner material without a whole lot of extra work.

Unregistered
11-05-2004, 01:28 PM
1). put the liner up the front and sides of the seat
2). and up the wall behind the seat.
3). cover with tilted backerboard
4). Float out the seams with thinset
5). use the paintover membrane on seat from shower floor to wall above seat
6). then, I assume i can use thinset on top of the membrane for the tile?

Again, Thanks for your help. I'm pretty handy, but this is something i don't want to do twice!!!!!

John Bridge
11-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi Tex, :)

No. Don't use the pvc liner for the seat. Treat the front of the seat just like the other walls --- with the liner up about 8 inches or so and the backer board over-lapping it. Then use a surface waterproofer such as "Redgard" from Home Depot to waterproof the seat itself. You cannot use the pvc liner to waterproof the seat. Just won't work. :)

M.P.TILE
11-06-2004, 09:29 PM
I've Always Pour My Seats .two Sections .the Base Then The Seat Itself. I Run Membrain Up Above The Seat Heigth .i Put Bands To The Wall.the Seat Has A Little Slope To The Front Very Little .the Pan Is On A Slope So No Water Is Trapped.i Always Make The Base Smaller At The Floor This Leaves Alot More Room For The Feet.a Big Difference.i Use A Rollon Membrain Before Tiling . I Have Never Used Wood For A Bench.wouldn't Know Where To Start.i've Really Made Some Nice Benches .i Alway Tile Bench First Then Let The Wall Overlap .repails Water Better .phil

opiethetileman
11-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Why go thru all that trouble of waterproofing a seat??? When you can build it out of concrete block. When is the last time you saw a block house rot. I build my seats out of block after the whole shower is finished and grouted that way behind the seat is sealled and if water does get back there, there is a tiled wall behind the seat.But hey we all do things differently. I would go with BLock myself. Wood and water dude they just dont mix to well last time I tried.

Aces High
11-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Should've read further down the post board...

John Bridge
11-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Yep, I can see a couple serious problems there. I would use plywood and not solid lumber bumper to bumper. Also, the curb/seat interface isn't going to allow water out of that trap you'll have when an enclosure is installed. The best seat for a shower like that is a corner seat that doesn't come near the opening.