Tiling An Outside Corner [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling An Outside Corner

Melissa
11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Hello all,

I am tiling the walls in my bathroom in tumbled marble and have two outside corners to deal with. I need some professional advice on the best way to handle the different tiles I am using on these outside corners....I am using tumbled marble from a chair rail height down to the floor. I have the following tiles top to bottom: 1 1/4" chair rail tile, a few rows of 1" x 1" deco tile, 3/4" pencil tile, 6" x 6" feild tiles to floor. If I cut everything on a 45 degree angle I am worried that the finished edge will be weak and could possibly chip/break if it is bumped or hit by anything. If I cut just the chair rail and pencil on a 45 and overlap or butt the flat deco and field tiles I won't have a straight vertical edge all the way down. Is there any way to "cope" the edge of tumbled marble tile like you can with a coping saw on wood?...my dremel is good but I am not sure it's that good...

Any help you can offer would be much apprecaited...my tile job looks beautiful so far and I don't want to mess it up now.

Many thanks,
Melissa

Sponsored Links

Davestone
11-04-2004, 05:05 AM
I don't know if i totally understand, but i bevel maybe a 1/2 inch off the top of these liners and chairrails at a 45 degree angle, when they abutt something,then i sand them with 80 to take out the saw marks, you could cut them with an angle grinder or maybe a dremel,i don't know :)

Melissa
11-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave!

I am not sure that I clearly explained myself. Can I have one more shot at it?
I have a small hallway in the bathroom. I need to tile the hallway walls and the bathroom walls. I am uncertain about how to finish the corners of the hallway into the bathroom (see '*' below). Should I cut every thing, chair rail, pencil and field tiles on a 45?
l H l
l a l
l l l
l l l
l w l
________l a l__________
* y *

Bathroom