Glass tile / porcelain tile over Kerdi ? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Glass tile / porcelain tile over Kerdi ?

RanCar
11-03-2004, 07:57 PM
I have a shower rebuild coming up with glass tile and porcelain tile for the walls. Can drywall and kerdi be used or should the backer be cement board?
It seems the glass tile needs latex modified thinset but is that okay over kerdi?
I do not have any experiance with glass tile so any guidelines for the right type of backer / thinset combination would be appreciated.

Randall

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
11-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Randall,

The glass tiles are mosaics? Shouldn't be any problem using modified over Kerdi for that. Exactly what is your scheme? Porcelain tiles with glass tile feature strip?

RanCar
11-04-2004, 05:57 AM
The glass tiles are mosaics and will be installed as a 6" high border. The porcelian is 13 x 13 Shower is 5' x 7'
So if I use Kerdi should the porcelain be set with unmodified and the glass modified?
Iam undecided at this time which backer product to use in regaurds to the pros and cons of either system. Which would be better?

Randall

John Bridge
11-04-2004, 06:28 PM
I use Versa Bond over Kerdi quite often. Don't have any problem with it setting up. I think it will handle both the glass tiles and the larger porcelain tiles. I'm not really a backer board guy. I used Hardi-backer not long ago. ;)