Home Depot Granite tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Granite tiles

Dave the rave
11-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi tilers,

Has anybody used the 3/8', 12x12 Home Depot granite tiles? Do they warp? Does modified thinset work on them?

Never used granite before. I'm going over a newly laid vinyl tile floor. The owner just bought the place and didn't like the black and white checkerboard vinyl tiles. I think they're vinyl. They're very shiny and soft.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
11-03-2004, 06:46 PM
First idea would be to remove those nice soft vinyl tile.:)

Yes, a modified thinset for granite.:)

Is this over concrete or wood, granite needs a stronger floor if wood.:)

opiethetileman
11-03-2004, 06:48 PM
not being rude but have you ever installed granite before. From what it sounds you are new at granite. And if you are going over vinyl with granite dude you are asking for major problems.

jadnashua
11-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Tile, either ceramic or natural stone, should not be installed over vinal. Also, stone needs a twice as stiff subfloor as ceramic tile does to survive. So, you'll need to remove the vinal flooring and probably the luan plywood usually installed under it first. Then, you need to determine the joist spacing, subfloor thickness and type, and longest unsupported joist length. Check out the Deflecto link above to help determine the suitability of your subflooring for granite.

I've only worked with a couple of different granites and they do not warp (although they could be cut poorly when you buy them). Some marbles warp, and maybe some other stones, but granite typically doesn't. Some granites are more prone to cracking or crystals popping out, but usually, those exhibiting that are usually culled out at the manufacturing location assuming you buy prime quality tile (not seconds). Not sure what HD sells. Make sure all of the cases are from the same lot, or you may have bigger differences in coloration and veining than you want.

Dave the rave
11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey dudes,

Thanks for saving my ass!!! I called the customer and told him about the expansion problem and he was simpathetic, but, of course, not pleased.

I told him that I had consulted with my tiling buddies, as I had never laid granite over vinyl before, and as I wanted to be sure about it.

So, thanks, tiling buddies! And yeah, I've never done granite before, but suspect that you have to be careful with it and not lay too much at a time, as with marble, it probably floats around and takes forever to set.

Whew!!! :bang:

JTG
11-04-2004, 03:12 PM
I have seen there is a problem with the granite that HD imports from China. They are not uniform in any dimention.
Use Custome Marble and Granite mortar to set them.