Cutting Holes in Granite [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Holes in Granite

strongtree
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I'm starting my granite 12" x 12" tile countertop and need to make a couple round holes and do some custom cutting around some fixtures on the backsplash wall. I have a rotozip tool but I tried the bit that said it was for tile and it sucked. I've thought of using a masonary drill bit, does that work? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

rob 223
11-03-2004, 04:50 PM
I cut out those holes using 4"diamond wheel on a angle grinder I just cut a square out from the back side of the tile just barely bigger than the pipe the plumbing fixtures will cover, it may be tricky if its your first time. You could buy a diamond core bit about $50 or find a local glass shop or tile/ counter top place and see how much they would charge to drill for you

strongtree
11-03-2004, 05:00 PM
thanks rob, i'll use that info. and go for it. However I can't afford too much trial and error when working with granite tiles.

rob 223
11-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Yes mistakes could cost you $10 a peice or so. So paying a shop may make sense, although adding a tool to your collection and learning could pay if you plan to do more work in the future

opiethetileman
11-03-2004, 06:55 PM
I have core circle bits that fit to my angle grinder that work well. They have a little suction circle than attaches to the granite and holds water kinda like a dam. It works very well. I think I paid about 56 bucks a bit for them though.

John Bridge
11-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Welcome aboard, Strongtree. Please drop a first name on us, will ya? ;)

You can buy diamond core drills (hole saws) at Home Depot for about $30 each. The size you need is 1- 3/8 in. Keep it cool with water as you drill.

strongtree
11-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks for all the help on the diamond core bit cutting info fellas. I think I'll add to my tool collection and pick a couple up.

One other thing regarding the cuts; when I make a cut on an edge it takes off that little tiny bevel that each tile has. After I cut it What can I use to make that little bevel again so it matches the rest of the group? Do they make a sanding pad or something that is tough enough to give the granite that little edge?

Tim
Building a home in Albany, OR

Westie
11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
You should be able to get a "stone" from the place you got your granite tile. It looks just like a very course sharpening stone. I picked one up that has a course and a fine side. It works great on granite, but does tend to wear out fast. You could do the same thing with course "wet and dry" sandpaper and a sandind block.

sean riha
11-04-2004, 03:31 PM
i had to make a bunch of holes in my granite tiles for my multi jet shower. i bought these and they worked great:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3101&item=8142741543&rd=1

they may not be the best quality, but they did the job very well and I'm sure will hold up for more jobs in the future. i used my hand drill and had the hose with the water on very slightly to wash away the ground stone. having an array of sizes was nice for my job b/c i actually wound up making 9 holes and with three different diameter bits.

and just use some high quality 80grit sandpaper to relieve the edges on your new cuts.

have fun!

ncor
11-04-2004, 04:36 PM
lost the bevel on your granite? your tile store should have 41/2" wheels for your grinder they come in progressivly finer grit work your way up to the 1000 grit then apply the sealer available to finish edges leaves a shiney polished look to match the top
neil

strongtree
11-04-2004, 05:29 PM
thanks for all the advice my new tile friends. Hopefully when I'm done I can offer some advice for newbies in the future.

Tim