Need DIY granite video [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Need DIY granite video

Bil
11-02-2004, 09:46 PM
I've done a lot of things but this is all new to me. I would like to install granite in my kitchen (not the tiles, the whole slab). Am looking for a video guide to give me an idea of where to start. Any web site or store outlet ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill in Southern Calif.

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
11-03-2004, 06:35 AM
Bill, we don't think that installing granite slabs is a DIY project. The slabs are heavy, the tools are expensive, the techniques are unique, and the cost for failure is high. Do yourself a favor, and have this part of your remodel done professionally.

30all
11-03-2004, 10:48 AM
the cost of granite countertop is high majorly because of fabrication process.
as bb said, tools are expensive and they don't last long and very laborious.
When people use the term 'fabrication' for granite countertop or frameless heavy glass shower enclosure, it pretty much tells they are not diy jobs.
besides, if you invest enough money for cutting, sanding, drilling tools for one time grinate slab installation, it'll be cheaper to hire professional installer.

dksworks
10-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Some slab granite installs can be very difficult others on the other hand are rather straight forward for a skilled DIYer. 2 centimeter slab will need a plywood base but if you are going with a 3 centimeter product you can set it directly on the cabinets. I set two 4' vanities and 5' x 4' island with a cooktop 2 weeks ago and the only special tools I needed was a core bit for sink faucets and a cutting wheel to trim the back splash.

I installed the 3cm stuff so it was prefabricated and shipped to me ready to install. The company who made it was greatgranitenet

They were talking about linking some video clips but I don't now if they have or not.

If you are going to fabricate your own granite, edges and all then you will need to invest in alot of tools visit granitecity for that they may also have a dvd on how to fabricate.

Also search "granite" on "You tube" and alpha tools shows how to fabricate a vanity from scratch.

Good luck.

dl
10-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Check out www.diygranite.com - no videos but lots of finished photos of successful DIY jobs.

- DL

ckl111
10-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Good luck? This Thread is three years old. :gerg:

Deckert
10-14-2007, 07:47 PM
The fabrication and installation is pretty high flying for DIY.

Where you can save some money is demoing the old countertops off, reinforcing your cabinet structure, and installing the new plywood, and doing the backsplash yourself (although a lot of granite slab installers/fabricators include a 6" granite splash as part of the job).

If you decide to do some of this yourself, make sure you coordinate with your installer and fabricator to insure you are using the material they want (usually 5/8" ply in my experience, but you want to verify what your guy wants.)

And ask for the quote for the whole job with the portions you might do yourself itemized out. That way you have some very rough idea of what your sweat equity should drop from the price.

EDIT: nevermind, i just read how old this thread was. nice bump!! :)