tub surround [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tub surround

Jim in VA
11-01-2004, 04:11 PM
In constructing the tile walls inside the bathtub area, is it common practice to install cement board over WR drywall, vs right to the studs? I'd like to build a strong wall, maybe even with some sound attenuation. Could I start by covering the walls with 1/2" green board, then install the cement board on top of the green board? The Permabase literature seems to indicate this, but details such as vapor barrier are left out. What I'm considering is 1/2" greenboard under 1/2" cement board to the "standard" height, then 2 layers of 1/2" green drywall in the 12-18" above the tiled surface. If this is OK, is a polyethylene or felt paper vapor barrier still used under the cement board?

Sponsored Links

Davestone
11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Yes, you could,and you still use the vapor barrier,but they also sell a sound deadener board,and denseshield. :)

Raymond S
11-01-2004, 05:51 PM
You could do that, but how would you deal with the extra drywall thickness at the edge of the tub surround? I would just use a mudcap at the tile perimeter. You don't need MR drywall, regular drywall is fine. Yes, vapor barrier is required between the drywall and the CBU.
Or you could skip the drywall and mut the vapor barrier on the studs and install the CBU flush with your walls.