Cut the baseboard or not and if so when? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cut the baseboard or not and if so when?

pitterpat
11-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Hey back from CTEF and learned a lot, more later!

I'm still at the concrete floor house. I have a question about if I need to cut the baseboard and if so when. Here's the deal:
I had to take up the old lineoleum first in the toilet room. The lineoleum was put down before the baseboard in this house when it was built, so some of it is under the baseboard.

I am going to put down a matted radiant floor heating system. After I get the mat on the floor I am going to pour SLC over the floor to cover the mat so I don't nick the wires and to have a smooth surface to tile over. (I got the thread from the liberry). Should I cut the baseboards before I pour the SLC or after I pour the SLC?

If I cut the baseboard b/4 I pour the SLC is the seam seal going to keep the SLC from running underneath the baseboard back to the studs that frame the walls, is that what the seam seal is for? Is there a certain thickness that the seam seal should be? I got a pink roll of it? Also I'm assuming that I trim the seam seal to the height of the SLC after the SLC has hardened...right?

Also this bathroom previously had carpet in the bathroom (yuck) and when I took up the tack strips, everywhere there was a nail in the floor it created a little crater about 1" wide and 1/16" inch deep when I took the nails out (the floor crumbled where the nails were to hold in the tack strips). Should I fill these craters with a little thinset before I put down the radiant heat mat or leave them open.

Sponsored Links

Davy
11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
You might be better off pulling off the baseboards. The bottom 3/4 inch of your base will be covered up with SLC and tile. I wouldn't worry about the little craters in the slab. :)

pitterpat
11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah that's probably right, I'm trying to make the height of the SLC as thin as I can to just cover the netting, I hope it doesn't come to 3/4", area it is joining up to is carpeted. The carpe has not benn finished in that area yet, menaing the capet is down but the edge that meets withe tile is loose. Does Schluter make a profile that will take tile on the other side?

Thanks, Pat

Davy
11-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I would pull back the carpet and nail a thin wood strip across the doorway, something to dam up the SLC. After the tile is set you could install a piece of Z-bar, it lets the carpet fold under along the tile's edge. :)

pitterpat
11-01-2004, 09:04 PM
I would pull back the carpet and nail a thin wood strip across the doorway, something to dam up the SLC. After the tile is set you could install a piece of Z-bar, it lets the carpet fold under along the tile's edge. :)

I've got the carpet and pad pulled back now. I was thinking of using some 1 x 2 to create the dam and to caulk it at the bottom to make sure that the SLC does not get under it.

Davy
11-01-2004, 09:06 PM
It helps if the top of the dam is also the height your SLC needs to be. :)

jadnashua
11-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Keep in mind that the SLC flows fairly easily and does what it says! If your floor is not level, it will be deeper in some areas than the other. My bathroom wasn't all that big, but was about 3/8" different from one end to the other. To get an idea, try as long of a straightedge as you can fit and a level to get an idea - it may end up deeper than you think. Best to have enough material on hand, as you don't want to run out. While lugging the stuff around is a pain, better to take some back that you don't use than not have enough to do the job you intended.

pitterpat
11-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Keep in mind that the SLC flows fairly easily and does what it says! If your floor is not level, it will be deeper in some areas than the other. My bathroom wasn't all that big, but was about 3/8" different from one end to the other. To get an idea, try as long of a straightedge as you can fit and a level to get an idea - it may end up deeper than you think. Best to have enough material on hand, as you don't want to run out. While lugging the stuff around is a pain, better to take some back that you don't use than not have enough to do the job you intended.

This is a very small bathroom with a small toilet room. The Suntouch mat is 2 x 15 I think to do the whole thing... so really small. But I hear what you are saying, one bag should do it, with some left over. Thanks, Pat