"Y" shaped tile spacers for hex tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : "Y" shaped tile spacers for hex tile

COBALT
09-02-2004, 05:18 PM
....Does ANYONE make these any more or sell them? I've checked every store and home center in the entire seattle area, and I can't seem to find them. Everyone points me to another store I've already checked with. Daltile is completely clueless.

Sure, I can turn my regular spacers on their side, but I have a lot of pieces to work with, and it's easier to have spacers that will fit down in betwen the tiles completely.

I'm willing to order them over the web, or whatever. I need a couple hundred at least, and I'm looking for 1/8".

Thanks-

Corey

Sponsored Links

Mike2
09-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Never seen 'em Corey but if they exist, Art Tile on Roosevelt will know about it.

COBALT
09-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Already checked with them. Boy they're obnoxious (they're the ones I bought my subway and hex tile from). Here's how the conversation went:

Them: (long pause)....Art Tile....
Me: Hey, I was wondering if you have spacers for hex tile.
Them: Yes we do.
Me: ....in the store. Physically in bags in the store.
Them: Yes.
Me: Don't you want to know what size I need?
Them: Well we have 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"...
Me: I need 1/8".
Them: We have them.
Me: Explicitly for hex tile.
Them: Yes.
Me: Are they "Y" shaped?
Them: No, just plusses, and tees.
Me: So you don't have spacers for hex tile.
Them: .....No, I guess not.
Me: Thanks anyway.

;)

Scooter
09-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I bet Barwalt has them.

http://www.barwalt.com/classifieds/display.html?id=25

COBALT
09-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Sweet. I'll call them in the morning. Thanks a lot.

COBALT
09-03-2004, 09:16 AM
What a pain.

Barwalt wouldn't quote me a price, but gave me a list of distributors in Seattle. The first distributor I called asked me if Barwalt gave me a price. No, so they said they would have to call them.

10 minutes later the distributor takes me off hold and tells me Barwalt doesn't have them any more...

So after that wild goose chase I still need them. Anyone else know of a company that has them?

SiliconValleyCanuck
09-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm looking at the bag of SuperiorBilt (looks to be Custom) spacers that I used for my tile layout and on the back they show that they have Y spacers available.

Rd Tile
09-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Just curious, what size are these tile, are you making your own design, most of these tile come in sheets, you can also place a spacer on one side of them, just like a square tile, should work fine.:)

COBALT
09-03-2004, 09:37 AM
I'm looking at the bag of SuperiorBilt (looks to be Custom) spacers that I used for my tile layout and on the back they show that they have Y spacers available.

Thats the brand home depot sells. I already called Custom Building Products, and they told me they don't make or sell them any more, even though their pictured on every bag of T and + spacers they have.

Yes, they're in sheets, but I'm going to have a lot of loose ones - plus I'm working off a couple of walls that aren't square, so getting the cuts acurate is going to be tough. It would be easier if I had a spacer that sat flush in between the tiles. It's just more accurate - especially for small tile like this.

I CAN'T BELIEVE no one makes or sells these any more. :bang:

T_Hulse
09-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Hi Corey,
The reason they're hard to find is that they're not really helpful in practical use. The hexagons, having more sides & corners than square tile, are much easier to line up by eye for the actual spacing. The sheets never seem to be perfectly square & on an exact repeat, so your eyes & hands are constantly adjusting dozens of tiles to get a compromise on layout (because of thier improper factory spacing). Some joints will be smaller and some will be bigger than you want, in order to make everything fit on the average. Spacers will just interfere with that averaging process. I do find it helpful to use plenty of very accurate layout lines to make sure you don't bunch or stretch in one direction. You need to use a good sticky mortar so they'll stick on the wall with a thin notch. Work very small areas at a time so your mortar doesn't skim over (it's so thin this happens fast).
How's your restoration going?

COBALT
09-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Good as can be expected. This time last year I hadn't started. We had an 1800 sq. ft. 1926 craftsman home with a gutted basement, a rotting bathroom floor (only one bathroom mind you), a hodge-podge mix of knob-and-tube wiring and improper patch jobs, and an old drain plumbing.

October 11 2003 I started cutting the basement floor to plumb the new drains for the new basement bathroom and utility room - only to find out I would have to replace the entire sewer connection from the house out to the main line under the driveway.

In January just when I started back-filling my 7' deep x 3' wide x 20' long sewer line trench after tying into the main line my wife dropped the bomb she was pregnant.

From then to now it's been a full-on sprint to get the basement, master bath up stairs, and the nursery done. I re-wired the house, re-plumbed it, installed new hot water heater, moved all of the gas lines (subbed), replaced 9 windows, finished sewer drains (subbed), regraded gutter drains, rebuilt heating ducts, framed the basement (subbed), repaired floor joists and resheeted master bath floor, plumb new basement bathroom, installed new lighting downstairs/master bath, insulated basement/upstairs master bath, drywalled and mudded the basement (subbed), installed wonderboard for both bathrooms, mudded and prepped master bath, and started tiling master bath.

Our due date for our baby is Sunday. It'll be a year October 11 since I started. Once I get the master bath done I have to finish the nursery (trim, paint and closet shelves), self-level the new utility room and bathroom downstairs, prep and tile the new bathroom, install flooring downstairs, finish the basement stairs, paint and trim the windows...

I guess hex spacers aren't all that big of a problem....

;)

Scooter
09-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Hex is about 60% of what I do, and never seen the need to use them. Most of the tile comes in sheets, and you can eyeball the singles.

COBALT
09-03-2004, 10:54 AM
....ok. I give up. I'll just eyeball the suckers, and use whatever spacers I have. I'm just a perfectionist, and when I see something that could help me lay this out more acurately I want to jump on it, but there's a limit to my time in messing around with this.

Upward and onward.

Rd Tile
09-03-2004, 11:19 AM
No spacers used here, you can do it.:)

COBALT
09-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Looks nice. Don't think I have much of a choice other than use the ole' eyeball and some T spacers anyway....