Tile-cutting advice [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile-cutting advice

John W
08-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi,

I've purchased 16" x 16" travertine tiles to use on a bath surround and shower. I'd like to cut them down to rectangles and install them in an overlapped manner, like bricks, rather than in traditional four-corners style.

So, in cutting them down to rectangles, is there a rule about aspect ratio, that is, is 8" x 16" "better" or easier to work with than 12" x 16" or 10" x 16"?

Forgive me if it's a silly question. I've never done this, and don't know if there are standards in this type of thing, or if it's just "however I want it to look."

Thanks for any insight here.

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
08-28-2004, 12:19 AM
John,
I find that rectangular tiles that have a length:width ratio of 2:1 (including a grout joint) make for the easiest broken bond layout. Otherwise, it's all a matter of preferance.
Shaughnn

John Bridge
08-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Welcome aboard, John. :)

Cutting them in half is fine for broken joint/running bond. If you were to do a herringbone or basket weave, you'd have to make them modular, i.e., you'd have to cut a grout joint out of the middle. :)

John W
08-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Once I cut the tiles down to the sizes I want, do I need to grind off the edges? The full size tiles have a tiny bevel on the edges. Should I do that to the cut edges? Will they not look as finished if I don't? Thanks guys.