Preslope failure??? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Preslope failure???

gcook1
08-26-2004, 09:30 AM
I think I screwed up my preslope. I noticed a spot of cracked bed. So I pulled the chunk out. Now it just seems like the bed is crumbling! :bang:

What did I do wrong? I have two theories:
1. Since the bed is on roofing felt, it floats. So, yes, it can be pulled up which would cause the cracking and crumbling. I should leave the rest of it alone!

2. My mix was too dry. I was trying to follow Michael Byrne's link. He says the mud should be pretty dry. But maybe I went too dry? It sure was a pain to try to pack and spread!

I'll try to attach a pic I took. Hopefully, I can manage that better than I build pre-slopes! Please give me any advice you can! At this point, I'm stopping before I screw anything else up.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gcook1/detail?.dir=/1573&.dnm=2b0a.jpg

Sponsored Links

Mike2
08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi Gary

I went out to look at your pictures but Yahoo tried to cookie me so I shut it down. My guess is maybe your mud was too dry if the crack just basically appeared on its own. Also be aware that a mud bed, while safe enough to take some light traffic a day or two later will not up to full strength for 28 days.

Were you able to form a firm mud ball in you hand after letting it slake?

gcook1
08-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi Mike,
Yes, I was able to form a ball. But it was still pretty crumbly when I worked with it. So I guess the big question is...tear it all out or just fix the bad spots?

proszkow
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Gary, did you put down a wire mesh over the roofing material?

Alex

gcook1
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Yes, I put down 15# felt, then wire mesh. The shower is 48 x 54. I sloped it 3/4 inch down to the drain. The drain's offset...furthest point from the drain is 40 inches. I used deck mud with a latex modifier.

Mike2
08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Gary:

Chances are even if technically a patch job is OK (and I don't know that is the case), this won't go away. You'll always be thinking about it and wondering. Give yourself some piece of mind, muds cheap, start all over. That's my 2 cents, for nothin. :)

P.S. Pack it in, screed it out, trowel just enough to smooth and get flat but don't over work the mud - screws up the hydration process.

davem
08-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Like Mike said, get it in and get it done. If you work it after it starts to cure, it will have no strength at all.

gcook1
08-26-2004, 12:13 PM
ok, my gut was kinda telling me the same thing. You're right...I'd be stressing about it for the rest of my life! So I'm tearing it out and starting over. :twitch: