tile in 1/2 bath [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile in 1/2 bath

johnsows4
08-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Hey Guys,

This is my 1st post on this forum so be patient. I am in the planning stages of tiling my 1/2 bath over top of vinyl. The floor is level and very sturdy. I am planning on using backerboard over top of the vinyl. Is this OK? Also the bath is only 3x8 and I will be using 12 inch tile. Is this to large of tile or is this alright? And last thing I have is the toilet. I know to tile under the toilet but how do I reattach the toilet to the flange and also have a good seal? Do I double stack the wax seal or is there some type of extension that I can put on the flange?

Thanks for any help,

Scott

Sponsored Links

bbcamp
08-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Welcome aboard, Scott!

All the backerboard manufacturers tell you to remove any vinyl flooring before you set the backerboard, unless you have VCT (vinyl composition tile) or non-cushioned vinyl. Note that most vinyl manufactured in the last 20 years has some cushion in it, so the chances of you being able to keep your vinyl is pretty slim.

I dunno about the tile. However, larger format tiles are finding their way into smaller rooms, so if you like it, have at it.

You can buy flange extenders in the plumbing department of most big box stores. They are a better solution than stacking wax rings.

johnsows4
08-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I will use your advice and will stick with the 12 inch tile. Great Forum!

Thanks again,
Scott

Mike T., Swampeast MO
08-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I used some really large tiles (about 16" x 16") in a small bath (about 6' x 3' for the major part of the tile area). Was a bit afraid that it might make it look even smaller, but to my eye it seems to do the opposite.