Shower Ceiling [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Ceiling

mkrosen
08-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Here's the laziest question of the day, go ahead, be brutal, I can take it!

A new primed drywall ceiling is in place in the 3x4 shower. Hardibacker is installed, but the top edges were never taped. (I'm taking over an abandoned job...)

Do I have to ruin this pristine ceiling with tape and mud, or can i just silicone the 1/4" gap? Right and left are inside walls; back wall butts up to the garage. There is plastic sheeting behind the Hardi on all sides.

I am tiling walls to the top, with 2x6" decorator tiles on the top row. These are slightly thicker than the 4x4's and I am also concerned about adding thickness of tape here.

Please advise! Thanks!

Sponsored Links

MHI
08-19-2004, 08:58 PM
I would tile to 1/8 inch of the celling and caulk the joint. No taping needed up there. :)

cx
08-19-2004, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't bother taping that joint, Mary. Just tile to the ceiling.

Truth be known, I would just grout the thing and never look back. You'll get a crack between the ceiling and grout, but I bet you won't be able to see it and you won't have any water up there.

But don't tell nobody I done tole you that, OK? They got all kinds of Tile Rangers and Caped Caulking Crusaders and who knows what other kinda cops hereabouts and I can't stand another ticket on my record. :D

My opinion; worth price charged.

mkrosen
08-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks, I just finished drywalling the rest of the room, all primed and ready for paint... I really did NOT want to drag a bucket of mud back in there.

[I hafta shout, my first-ever drywall job turned out pretty danged good. :yipee: Hope the tile's the same.]

Caulk sounds a little more flexible than grout, I wouldn't 'spect it to crack, but imagine it would only look good if I draw a fine line up there. Tile's white, just a fine grey pattern inside those toppers.... More opinions anyone?

cx
08-19-2004, 09:17 PM
Oh, yeah, it'll crack if you grout it. If it doesn't, I'll personally come over there and crack it for ya. The caulk won't crack. :)

I'd grout it anyway. :D

mkrosen
08-19-2004, 09:32 PM
My dear CX, I trust you implicitly, but... ummm... huh? Isn't that like settin' myself up for failure?

cx
08-19-2004, 10:17 PM
My opinion; worth price charged. :D

It'll just be a little tiny crack an it'll be between dissimilar materials on different planes.

But if it worries you the tiniest bit, caulk it. That's the industry standard and, therefor, the most correct way to treat it.

I always try to use the best materials and methods for the situation at hand (I do a good bit of non-typical remodel), but that doesn't always mean following all the rules to the letter. That's how's come I have that fine disclaimer. :)