installing glass tile on a wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : installing glass tile on a wall

bookgirl
08-18-2004, 09:23 PM
We purchased Bisazza glass mosaic tile (12x12in.on net backing)to put on the bathroom walls, which are sheet rock, texturized and painted. Do we need to prepare the walls? We were told to put up masonite, but we are not sure about investing 750.00.

Sponsored Links

Mike2
08-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi there girl, nice to meet you. Got another name we can call you? We do have a lot of girls around here - not too many books however. :).

I'm assuming you are not talking about a tub surround/deck or any other area that would get repeated wetting. How would you describe the texture? Just a slight orange peel? If so, sealing that properly with a coat or two of white pigmented shellac like the BIN or Zinsler product might be OK as a wall tiling surface. Lets wait and see what other's might have to say.

John Bridge
08-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Hi Girl, ;)

for sure the sheetrock is every bit as good as masonite as a tile base. I wouldn't bother with that. As mike says, make sure whatever is on the sheetrock isn't going to come off. Then use a modified white thin set to mount the tiles. Most glass manufacturers issue guidlines for the installation of their products. I would follow them.

We've had some reports that the glass tiles allow the netting to show through after installation. If you can see it now, you'll see it later. :)

John Dumbrille
08-21-2004, 03:42 PM
HI John - I remember a while back on this forum there was a generic brand mesh mounted mosaic sheet where the mesh showed through, but are you sure thats a hard and fast rule - see it now/ see it later. I know that you can make the mesh out if you look at it straight on, on Interstyle's product (before installing it) and their isntallation record is excellent. Id expect great quality control from Bisazza as well. I'd like to know how often this problem comes up, if its something installers have alot of problems with.