Bathroom Tiling Project [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Tiling Project

lphunt
08-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Shon here. I have read the threads, and need advice. I assume I can tile over existing tile on bathroom walls. The tile was painted as a temporary solution, and now I want a more permanent solution. Do I sand off the paint and tile on top or Can I put wonderboard on top of old tile and start anew? This would go up 6 1/2 feet all around. Do I put wonderboard up with screws through studs? The tile is a horrible brown, and I want to avoid taking it all down if possible. Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Mike2
08-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi Shon. We've been waiting for you...seems like forever - it's about time you hooked up with us. :D

Shon, I've never had to deal with painted over wall tiles, thank goodness so I'll defer to others on the best approach. In the meantime, check back in with us and tell us if any of this is inside a shower area, around a combo tub/shower, or anyplace else that will have repeated exposure to water.

Rd Tile
08-18-2004, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't go over those tile, time to rip it out and redo it, like Mike said, wet or dry area.:)

Mike2
08-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Sounds like pretty good advice to me RD. :nod:

Whatdaya think Shon? Up to the task? RD, me if I can and a bunch of other folks around here will help you every step of the way if need be. Heck, for a couple brewskies RD might even help you clean up the mess. :D Set a keg on the floor and JB his ownself might even show up.

RandyL
08-18-2004, 06:32 PM
If the tiles were set on drywall the tearout will be easier then you think. Just punch a hole in the wall somewhere......then yank on it......there ....done. Nexxxxxxxxttttt. In all honesty, you could have it removed and cleaned up in an hour.

lphunt
08-19-2004, 07:26 AM
Shon again, Alright! Alright! Alright! As you gentlemen can see I am not happy about the tearing it out. So much for taking the shortcut. The area is the bath shower area, and the surrounding walls. So I need a chisel and hammer to knock it all out and pull it off. Then I go over with the wonderboard since it is the bath/shower, then I can tile until my heart is content, I guess. Thanks for your help, I'll be back!!!!!!

John Bridge
08-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi Shon,

I think you knew the answer when you asked the question. You're just keeping the guys on their toes, right? :D

Rd Tile
08-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Shon, first put a drop cloth or blanket over the tub and tape over the drain for debri, you don't want to damage the tub, I assume it's staying, wear safety glasses and gloves, broken tile will cut you like glass, punch a hole between the studs and start pulling it'll come right off with a little help, remove all the nails or screws from the studs, then install a vapor barrier over the studs, 15lb. roofing felt or 4 mill poly., staple it up, then install 1/2" cementboard, Hardie, Durock or Wonderboard are all fine here, tape and thinset the seams when tiling, use a modified thinset for both.:)

Now you can tile to your heart's content.:)