Slate, remove grout haze [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Slate, remove grout haze

Debbie2
08-18-2004, 11:08 AM
I just layed Slate in the bathroom and laundry room. The problem is I thought I had removed all the grout but now I see it in the slate's crevises. What do I use to remove it so that won't damage or dull my slate? And will it be a big project? Do I have to be real careful not to get it on the grout lines in between the slate? Thanks

Sponsored Links

Mike2
08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Good morning Debbie, good to have you with us. :)

A mix of white vinegar and water, 50:50 will remove the haze and help soften up the small specks of grout left behind. Scrub with hubby's toothbrush ;), or a white kitchen pad. Be aware that some tedious picking will most likely be in order using some small tools around the house - a nut picker and/or a sharpened piece of wood doweling are good choices.

Do it now as it will become more difficult with each passing day. Come back and give us a progress report.

Builderwoman
08-22-2004, 11:43 PM
:idea: You're probably done by now but I used a "grout brush" - one of those narrow, stiff bristle brushes intended to help you scrub the mildew out of the grout lines in your shower. Worked great, especially with the 50/50 vinegar.

Maurizio Bertoli
08-23-2004, 01:25 AM
Many a slate will etch badly when treated with acid! Test on a spare tile before using water and vinegar!!
Ciao and good luck,

Monicakm
08-23-2004, 02:19 AM
I don't believe I've seen a grout haze remover product suggested on this site. I didn't know a product existed till this past weekend. DH used it on the travertine entry and *thought* it helped. It was an Aquamix product. Anyone use it?
Monica

John Bridge
08-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi Monica,

Don't know what he used. The products range to the extremes on the pH scale. He may have used an alkaline product which works well with the additives in modern grout. We don't often recommend the alkaline strippers because most of our problems result from people not washing all the cement off their tiles, and acid (vinegar) is the first choice in this instance. :)

Monicakm
08-23-2004, 11:24 PM
OK John, please tell me I'm confused :sick: Are you saying that Aqua Mix's "Grout Haze Clean Up" product has a high pH balance and because of that is not recommended for natural stone? Are you tell me that we damaged our H&F travertine entry floor? This is from the Aqua Mix website...

Description: Safe and effective concentrated cleaner to be added to the grout cleanup water for removal of cementitious grout haze and latex additive film from tile during the grout cleanup process.

Uses: Recommended for use on ceramic, porcelain, quarry, terra cotta, saltillo, unpolished natural stone, brick and masonry surfaces

Their MSDS states the pH level is 6.7. It's my understanding that 7 is neutral so I assumed it was safe.

The beautiful stone floor LOOKS ok and I'm talking real nice to it in case we've offended it in some way :p

Monica

Mike2
08-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi Monica. :)

I think you need to go back and read John's post again, carefully this time. He didn't say any of that, or even suggest it. :shake: