Save a marriage... can I grout over grout? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Save a marriage... can I grout over grout?

jps
08-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Background:
12x12" black granite tiles over plywood/backer on counter top in kitchen. Black grout 1/16" put down 26 hours ago. This was the first time I ever used un-sanded grout and I did not like it. It was sticky/gooey. I have done several floors, but no granite.

Anyway - the plan was to make the grout even with the top of the tiles (for easy cleaning) but I was having a little trouble controling the level. The level is above the bevel (so less than 1/16" down). It seems pretty acceptable to me. (Hint of trouble to come...)

In any case, 24 hours later, my wife says "when are you going to re-grout?". Pregnant Pause, followed by tears, laughter, wailing, yelling, cheering etc. :cry:

So She is pretty set on this whole 'level grout' thing. Will cleaning it really be that much of a challenge? The grout only sits down about a 32nd or less from the tile. If I do want to level it up, can I add grout 48 hours after the first layer? Will this cause problems in the future?

Thanks for any input...

(The picture of the grout is hard to see, but I figured I would show it anyway...)

Sponsored Links

Bri
08-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Pretty tough to get perfectly filled joints with unsanded grout...especially with all the latex that is in it.(sticky gooey). If you seal the grout, they will be easy to clean...but they may catch a few crumbs. :)

Davestone
08-17-2004, 03:19 PM
The way to pefectly grout stone is to put the grout inonce cleaning with the float very well, wait 10 minutes and reapply grout to the joints cleaning well, then let get completely dry and use a doodlebug or scouring pad to brush over it to level off joints. I usually don't tell newbies this cause i'm afraid they'll get into trouble,normally with grout you NEVER let it get too hard, but with unsanded on stone if you clean it well as you go,you can let it get pretty hard and buff it with the doodlebug method,but it has to be hard and clean,that's the secret we use to get a perfect grout on stone, there it's OUT :)

jps
08-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the secret. I am sure my next counter will be better. I just need to move now. As a DIYer, I know that I am in it to learn and do it better next time!

From what I read snooping around the back posts is this is not a particularly good idea. I know you are supposed to take out the grout completely if you regrout, but I didn't know if that was just because of the buildup of dirt/soap etc.

I suppose I will just drop in the sink and enjoy it as is (and my wife will get over it).

Thanks!

flatfloor
08-17-2004, 06:59 PM
The peanut butter and jelly will hide it nicely, she'll never notice. :D

jps
08-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Ok, now I am confused again. :crazy:

John said in the "Problem: bathroom grout in excess" thread that Unregistered could grout over top to even up his grouting job. Is this true? In which case, can I just put another layer of grout (using the technique described by Dave)?

Thanks!
Jeremy