Glass Block Question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Glass Block Question

Johnney
06-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Sills built and the cement boards on the wall, my question is : do I tile the wall first then start the blocks or do I start the blocks then tile the wall and in any case how do I attach the first blocks to the wall? I cant find any info on that. Any help out there? Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
06-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Either way, i like to put the tile on first so i can visually plumb against it,and you're supposed to put expansion foam at the joint against the wall with anchors screwed into wall with plastic anchors or hitting a stud.The metal slotted strips can be bent into an L and anchored into wall ,then layed on top the course and mudded in.

John Bridge
06-06-2004, 02:01 PM
I do it the other way. I mud the block to the wall and the curb. I use small pieces of lath bent into an "L" or brick ties to hook into the wall. Attach them at every other course on the way up. Overlap them onto the horizontal reinforcing in the block wall.

The tile then abuts the block wall on both sides and locks it in.

Johnney
06-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Thank you Dave and John, Got a pretty good idea now, Pictures will be up as soon as I get into it.

ChasR
06-06-2004, 11:47 PM
I like the Davestone method better than John's. It works best for me to tack a plywood strip on the wall exactly where the glass block will go and then lay the tile to it. You can also use tile spacers that way. The best place I've found for materials and literature on installing glass block is Lowes. They have the lathe and metal "ladders" for vertical reinforcement and instructions on how to use them.

Chas

Johnney
06-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Another Question: one area of the wall where the 2x10 blocks go for the pan liner to go up along has a vent pipe in it and theres no room to put any blocking,will that little area of space make any difference if the liner is stapled on both sides of the vent its approx: 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide

ChasR
06-07-2004, 09:49 PM
If you're talking about not stapling a 3" wide space around the top of the liner the answer is no, it wont hurt a thing.
Chas

Johnney
06-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Thank you sooo much.

Mike2
06-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi there Johnny. That picture you got there for your avatar....looks just like Buck Owen's when I saw him last down there at the Crystal Palace. :D