Help...Wall meets Bathtub [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help...Wall meets Bathtub

BigDog4All
05-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Ok...finally took out all the ol stuff to the bare 2x4s. And I could choke the buiders of this house. One simple word for them...Azzholes

Now the problem...

For some reason the builders decided not to use a leveler or framing square to frame in the tub and tub area. So, guess what...Out of square.

I am able to make the best of a bad situation, but have one big problem or it may not be a problem at all. Using mil poly on the walls over 2x4s. Installing cement backer board over milpoly on walls. So good so far. Now...The tub is so out of square, I can not lay the cement board down over the edge of the top part of the tub, thus no overlap. The best I can do is run the cement backer board down to the top flange edge of the tub and then have the marble over lap the tub edge. Instead of thinsetting the marble on the cement board down to within 3/8 of an inch. I will have to thinset the marble on the cement board and have it laying over the top of the tub area, by about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. There will be NO thinset in the 3/4 incha area on top of the tub.

Is this exceptable or taboo? The old tile I removed didn't have Thinset in that area either.

Help me if you can.

Thanks..

John

Sponsored Links

genel
05-27-2004, 04:59 PM
My first thought would be to try and square the opening. Could you shim the studs a little and get the opening square. You can get 1/8 stock at Lowes and shim the individual studs until you are closer to square.

T_Hulse
05-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Most tile can span down to the tub without a problem. You can even pack it with dryish thinset or mud if you want. The key is to make sure that your vapor barrier in back still works good & extends all the way down inside the tub lip. Shimming works good too. Commonly it's done before the sheetrock so you can do all the way across 1 whole bathroom wall. That way there's no akward height transition at the edge of the tile. :)