Banjo countertop support question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Banjo countertop support question

Bodie Powers
08-09-2019, 10:26 AM
I'm building a banjo countertop for a small guest bathroom. The vanity itself is 36" wide and I plan to extend the 8" deep banjo neck about 30 inches off the vanity. The neck will rest on a wall cleat but it terminates in space and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need some support on the cantilevered end. All surfaces will be tiled. Substrate will be 3/4" ply overlaid with 1/2" ply and 1/4" CBU thinsetted and screwed to the ply. My first though on support was 2 corbels. Is there a better way to do it?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

Carbidetooth
08-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Not a corbel fan. Have seen, installed, and even specified them. Would do much to avoid if I could.

Never heard of a Banjo top but I assume runs behind toilet or similar adjacent vanity. I think you're right, It needs support, particularly with the weight of substrate and tile.

It would take some precise planning, but I'd look at doing something like a stud attached brace. Perhaps a 3 1/4" square plate with tube welded to it and screwed to side of stud. Tube would protrude through drywall and support top.

You could do the simple version by drilling strategic holes into studs through drywall and epoxying pins to support top. Could cut dado in substrate to keep it flush with bottom.

Bodie Powers
08-09-2019, 12:46 PM
Some interesting ideas. I'm wondering if 2 of these 1/4" thick forged steel brackets would be sufficient. The banjo will be used for a box of tissues, small potted plant, drinking glass and similar light items. These are hand made by SolForge in Olympia...other items I'm purchased from them were high quality and very strong. I'm thinking that a 30" x 8" substrate of 2 ply layers + thinsetted/screwed CBU would be stiff enough to avoid grout cracking. My main concern is keeping the structure perpendicular to the wall.

Elkski
08-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Those brackets look nice but still can flex
Plus how much will overhang? As long as no one places an object too heavy on it it will be fine.

speed51133
08-09-2019, 02:03 PM
I now know what a banjo countertop vanity is....

Bodie Powers
08-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Bingo.

Elkski
08-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Lol. I thought you were an artist or something and actually we're making a real guitar banjo countertop with the handle out in space somewhere

smifwal
08-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Thanks Mike cause I was going to Google it if someone didn't post a picture. When I read the thread this morning my mind went somewhere else

Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
08-11-2019, 03:59 PM
I don't know. If it's 3/4+1/2+1/4 I think it's going to be pretty sturdy. Based on what I know about Bodie online I don't think there will be a lot of corners cut.

I'd probably install it with the wall cleat and see what you think. You can always add those corbels later.

Kman
08-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Is the wall open, by chance?

Bodie Powers
08-18-2019, 11:16 AM
Nope wall is not opened otherwise I'd use a stud mounted bracket. I decided to use a 4" steel corner brace, it meets the 2/3 rule for the 6" shelf and as it turns out the bracket won't be visible from anywhere unless you drop to the floor. Thanks for all responses :)