Installing porclain distressed tile help [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Installing porclain distressed tile help

Hp
07-30-2019, 03:06 PM
I found some tile today that I love. The back is red and feels just like brick. It says it is made from clay/brick. The lady I bought it from said that it is porcelain but I'm concerned. It is also distressed and has little tiny holes which I love.
My question - when installing won't grout get into those little holes? How can I prevent this.

see picture attached

Sponsored Links

Lou_MA
07-30-2019, 03:29 PM
when installing won't grout get into those little holes? How can I prevent this.

Yes.

Grout a spare tile or two to see if you like the look. If grout in those holes bothers you, you’ll have to tape off each tile face.

Davy
07-30-2019, 06:20 PM
I'd fill them in with grout. If you don't, the holes will fill in with dirt or food ( on a back splash). Or tape them off like Lou said.

Metropolitan Ceramics
07-31-2019, 07:10 AM
Tile can be porcelain and still be red on the back. Porcelain just means that it absorbs less than 0.5% moisture when wet. Depending on the type of clay used it can be red, buff (yellowish), or gray and still be porcelain. If there is a 'Certified by PTCA' logo somewhere on the box, you know that it has been third party verified as actual porcelain, otherwise you're just taking someone's word for it.

A grout release can keep grout out of the holes. Typically these are waxy products that cover the surface and then you wash them away as part of the final grouting step. As was mentioned earlier though, if it's going on a floor you will get dirt down in those voids and it will end up being dark gray anyway. Using a dark gray grout and just letting it fill them in may be your best bet. Try it on a few pieces first and make sure you like the look before you mortar them in place.