Sean's Shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Sean's Shower

Sean123456
07-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Hello, I am remodeling my walk-in shower using Schluter system, 12x24 wall tile, 2x2 floor tiles. I want to install a small 6" x 6" foot niche 16" off finished floor for shaving purposes.

Due to the small size I would prefer to use a prefab schluter niche rather than try to waterproof a 6" x 6" niche with the inside/outside corner pieces. Schluters smallest prefab niche is 12" x 6". Can I use this and install a piece of kerdi board as a false top and just tile to 6" x 6" dimension?

If using the prefab niche with drywall, can I simply apply the membrane over the 2" niche flange and then cut the 6" x 6" opening or do I need to use Kerdi band between the membrane and the niche flange?

That is all for now, but I'm sure I'll run into more questions as the project progresses.

Sponsored Links

Kman
07-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the forum, Sean. :)

You can do what you propose for the niche, or if you can get your hands on a piece of 1/2" Kerdi board, you can custom make one.

As for the waterproofing, you can bring the waterproofing down over the niche flange and bond it with mortar just as you did over the sheetrock. I usually just cover the opening, then use a sharp blade to cut it around the opening.

Kman
07-27-2019, 05:44 PM
Or there's this (https://www.innoviscorp.com/recess-it/) in a 6x6.

Installs a little different, but works well.

Sean123456
07-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Kman, the recess-it seems preferable for the size. That raises the question, how to integrate that into the schluter system?

Kman
07-27-2019, 08:01 PM
I try to have framing on opposite sides for the niche, especially in your case, considering its use.

The metal is about 1/16-1/8" thick, so I trace around the flange on the sheetrock, then cut the surface of the sheetrock out so that the face of the flange is flush with the face of the sheetrock. A chisel is a good tool for that job.

When the Kerdi is installed, I cut it so that it folds into the box on the bottom and sides. The box itself is waterproof, but there are seams at the corners of the flange that need to be covered.

Davy
07-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Another option is to build a small foot prop in the corner on a 45 from the floor up to about 16 inches instead of having it recessed in the wall. We've done this several times over the years. I've built them out of bricks in traditional built showers but don't see why you couldn't build it out of Kerdiboard.

Sean123456
07-28-2019, 05:49 PM
The only reason I don't want to do a shelf is because I'm working with a 35"x32" shower so I want to minimize any encroachments into the usable space.

Because of the way the cold water supply splits to the toilet it creates a very small space for this footrest. It seems like my options are limited to a custom made niche. Plan is to try a custom niche that is the width of the preformed outside corners so I can mortar them in overlapped. That should give me a niche 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" before tile, if I don't trim the prefab corner any shorter than it comes.

Attached is a photo of the space I am working with for the footrest. Don't want to put anything in the outside insulated wall. The opposite wall will have the soap/shampoo niche.

Kman
07-28-2019, 08:55 PM
Sean, whomever is going to use that niche better have a very tiny foot. After tile it'll be maybe 3 1/2" wide. You got toddlers at home that are shaving already? :D

Given your geographic location, I wouldn't be averse to putting one in the exterior wall. I don't normally say that, but you're in a warm climate, and the box is going to be small, so you shouldn't lose much heat from it.

Your planned location for it is not going to be very useful, I'm afraid, given the size.

Tool Guy - Kg
07-29-2019, 08:49 AM
What Kevin said. :nod:

ss3964spd
07-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Even with dimensions of that shower I wouldn't hesitate just installing a small corner shelf with a nice rounded edge, and I believe I've seen them available off the shelf.

A small one, tucked into the corner will have no meaningful encroachment IMO, you'd have to really snug a body tight into the corner to come close to it with a shin. Additionally, it'll probably be far easier to install since you're not trying to water proof and tile and grout inside a very small opening. It'll probably stay cleaner too.

Sean123456
08-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Thanks all for the responses. I got permission from the PM to skip the foot rest. I am glad I did not attempt a mini niche as that would have been a disaster. With that said I have kerdiā€™ed the rest and have a question about dealing with the outside corners. They all seem to bulge out in the corner due to the crease. Can I just push some thinset inside these corners once they setup? Would it be better to throw a kerdi patch over them?

Davy
08-04-2019, 08:20 PM
It won't hurt to add thinset, you may have to do some minor wall floating to get the walls flat. The build out in the overlaps is usually a problem.

Sean123456
12-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for the advice and knowledge from everyone. Here is the finished product.

Davy
12-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Nice job. :tup1:

ss3964spd
01-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Very handsome, Sean, nicely done. :tup2: