Shower Niche Question - Please Help! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Niche Question - Please Help!

save000
07-17-2019, 08:25 PM
So we had our shower niche and tile installed today. I can't decide if I am being too picky? I just am not 100% pleased with the niche outcome and would love some opinions. I was under the impression these marble bullnose pieces would look cleaner against the one front facing piece. There is some unevenness and the marble edge where they cut seems off where it sits forward facing. Everything has been set and grouted. What would you do? Am I stuck with this or is there an easy fix? Would you try to have it all the marble removed if possible? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

cx
07-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Welcome, Elise. :)

I think that looks a bit sloppy and all those corners should have been mitered.

Are the bottoms of the shelves sloped to drain?

My opinion; worth price charged.

ss3964spd
07-18-2019, 06:07 AM
A bit sloppy, perhaps, but he also had quite a challenge with the niche given the beveled subway tiles. I'd have come up with a different design, probably letting the top, bottom, and side pieces of the niche extend past the face of the beveled tile by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.

feh
07-18-2019, 08:47 AM
It looks to me like the installer might have tried to miter the corners...are those pieces actual marble? If so, they can be tough to cut without crumbling, depending on where the veining is. Even if it is ceramic/porcelain, getting mitered bullnose pieces to look right is always a challenge. I personally try to discourage it because I hate it so much, but if that's what a customer/designer want...! We often use Corian to trim out a niche, it just looks so much cleaner.

I'm going to have to agree that the design probably should have been different. I think sometimes it is hard to know what something is going to look like until it is actually in. I wouldn't necessarily fault the installer here, but if you don't think you can live with it, consult him/her for some possible solutions.

Overall, it looks like a pretty good job as far as layout and everything else.