Backsplash on a textured wall [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Backsplash on a textured wall

arickdm
07-11-2019, 07:32 PM
I'm going to be attempting to install tile for the first time. We're using glass tile for our backsplash in the kitchen, but the walls have a texture. I was thinking the thinset would help fill in the low spots since they don't seem too deep, but after a few searches, I'm not sure anymore. Do I need to sand it smooth, skim it smooth, just rough it up, or can I just install over it the way it is? Or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
07-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Just roughing it up with some 60 grit will be fine. You don't have to get rid of the texture via sanding. Just roughing it up is sufficient.

Make sure to use white mortar for that glass tile. There are a few mortars formulated for glass. Look for a glass mortar with non-sag qualities. It may be a few bucks more than the adjacent bags of mortar, but it'll be exactly what you need. Stay a thousand miles away from any setting material product that is pre-mixed - irrespective of what anyone at the store tells you.

:)

Kman
07-11-2019, 09:48 PM
Those receptacles and plates are going to stick out like dirty receptacles and plates when your new backsplash is finished. ;)

arickdm
07-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Is there anything I can for the plates other than relocating them?

Kman
07-12-2019, 09:13 AM
I would replace the receptacles and the plates after the backsplash is finished. Their location isn't a problem, just the color of them, against the white cabinets.

Unless there's a color similar to them in the tile or grout, they would probably look better if they were white.

arickdm
07-12-2019, 09:30 AM
Oh okay. Yeah we do plan on replacing them. I’ve been working on replacing all outlets and switches in the house.

Tool Guy - Kg
07-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Try to be neat with your cuts and thinset coverage, as these can show through the glass. Even irregular cuts under a receptical plate can show through. So, get full coverage of mortar under the tile and be neat and square with your cuts around the receptacles. And be neat about running grout all the way to the cut edge.

:)