glass tile saw blade? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : glass tile saw blade?

baum
07-08-2019, 05:03 AM
I will be doing a backsplash project where im using the olympia "linen" style glass tile.

Can the pros recommend a 7" blade for glass tile? Hopefully something that is easily available and doesnt chip the glass easy.

The tile is 2" x 6" (on a 12" x 12" sheet) would a scorer work with glass tile also?

Also what is a good thinset to use with glass tile?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Radas
07-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Montolit CPV is the only blade I'd recommend for glass. They make a 7" variant and it is sold on tools4flooring and a few other sites. Glass chipping is not always preventable but can be mitigated with a high quality blade and proper technique.

A glazier's tool will work as well although I've experienced poor results from lack of experience.

You'll want a highly modified thinset that is white in color for glass application. I've used Mapei's glass tile mortar (small bags) or Custom's Flexbond for glass with great results. Remember to get 100% thinset coverage behind your glass tile or sheet to prevent issues.

Elkski
07-08-2019, 09:21 AM
I reccomend laticrete 254 platinum. Read my horror story. Good saw tuning is important plus you need to break in the blade. Maybe 30 feet of cutting to knock off the bigger diamonds. Or may be cut bricks? With a plunge saw you can score both sides. Some glass tiles suggest taping and it helps.

Lou_MA
07-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Laticrete Glass Adhesive.

254 would work, but that can turn into an ordeal very quickly if there’s any excess thinset in the grout joints. It’s very sticky, and cures very, very hard. Good traits, but if you’ve missed any thinset when you’re setting and have to clean it next day, there’s a risk of chipping tiles.