1850s Kitchen [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 1850s Kitchen

Boston_guy
07-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Hello all newbie here. I am renovating my kitchen in an old wood framed house. My joists are the original 1850's true 2x8s 19.2 in. o.c. and I may do some additional blocking and sistering as needed but the deflectometer gives me a thumbs up for ceramic even before that.

The old kitchen circa mid 1980's has two sheets of 3/4 in. ply, with 1/4 in. thick 6"x6" ceramic tiles laid directly onto the plywood with a very thin mortar set. So total height was 1 3/4 in. Not using any backer board was necessary - and presumably still an approved method back then - because the remaining old pine wood floor was 5/8 in flooring on top of 1 in. planks. So the total difference between the tile and wood floor was about 1/8 inch, bridged with a small metal threshold.

My dilemma now is how to best setup my new floor for success keeping it strong but not making it much higher than 1 5/8 in of the remaining floor. Adding hardiboard onto the existing two sheets of plywood would make it too high.

Options?
- Two sheets of 3/4in plywood and use TAVY thin skin system -assuming this is frowned upon in this forum?
- One sheet of 3/4 in plywood, another sheet of 1/2 inch, 1/4 in hardiboard ?

What else? Thanks all

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
07-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Hi Willy,

The two layers of 3/4 will be the strongest, but I'm not sold on Tavy thin skin. Using your second suggestion is probably the way to go. :)