Advice on Missing Floor tile [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Missing Floor tile

Dubz1
07-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Good evening everyone, I’m looking for a little advice on some missing tile in a shower floor. I was sent these photos from my tenants, looks like a few pieces missing. I was quoted about $4K for a full demo/rebuild (small shower stall).
I did a little digging trying to recall what I did when I remodeled the bathroom a few years ago, I put in the kerdi (felt) on the floor and walls. Now seeing this I’m not happy as I hired someone to finish the tile as we had renters and I had no time to finish, the tile I hired did a shitty job, hence the two colors since we had it glazed to be one color.
I’m curious because I have the Kerdi flooring and up the walls, would I be able to have someone FIX the floor tile only? I’m not in a position to dump that kind of money so I’m looking for possible quick fix (if possible), maybe remove and replace the few times or remove & replace the floor only, but I’m guessing the Kerdi will get messed up in the removal process leaving me with damaged floor that may cause bigger issues down the road. HELP!! Any advice is welcome.

Thank you
Robert

Sponsored Links

Kman
07-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, Robert. :)

Hard to make out much detail from your pictures. Looks like maybe a floor mat in one of them.

How many pieces are missing? Do you still have them? Have you checked the other pieces to see if they're bonded well?

cx
07-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Welcome, Robert. :)

I can't really tell what we're looking at there. Well, I can see it's a shower floor, of course, and some places I see black tile and other places something applied over the black tile?

The few places I see that look like maybe six missing tiles show no indication of there being Kerdi under the tiles.

I'll wait for the answers to Kevin's questions.

Dubz1
07-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Gentleman
It’s missing just a few 1x1 tiles. Your seeing the floor, the original tiles were are the dark ones the beige is what we hired a different guy to glaze the tiles because the person I hired installed that gawd awful color. I am certain I put the Kerdi membrane then hired someone to just tile the shower (big mistake)z
I have not checked the other tiles but I will text the tenants to see if they can take a look. Again the tile job was so ugly that is the reason we had the whole shower glazed literally 2 weeks after initial tile job. It’s only a few tiles in that one areA, the reat of the floor and walls are glazed.
More to come on the rest of the flooring.
Thanks again

clifton clowers
07-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Are those tiles painted? I'd sand the layer of paint/glaze or whatever it is off (to facilitate proper bonding), cover/fill the whole floor with a layer of Ardex Feather Finish, and add a layer of new tile on top. You can raise the drain cover by using some M/F standoffs.

Dubz1
07-01-2019, 11:46 PM
Clifton
They are glazed from a sub par tile job, the guy picked out some crappy colors, we hated the look so hired someone to “fix/cover” up the tiles with glaze, like you would do in an old bathtub. I’m going to look up the Arde. Stuff.
Thank you

Kman
07-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Okay, I see where the tile are missing now.

I'd still want to know if any other tile are loose. No sense in replacing a few, only to have more tiles that are loose.