Hardwood or Tile First [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood or Tile First

H20xpurt
06-30-2019, 06:18 AM
I am installing a new floor in my office and would like to do a 5 foot strip of tile in the middle of the office and hardwood in the rest of the office. I plan on having the hardwood installed and I will do the tile. Would you recommend the hardwood be installed first then the tile or vice versa? I plan on Ditra, tile and schluter tile edge.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Elkski
06-30-2019, 06:43 AM
I'm pretty sure you will want to install the hardwood first if it is unfinished and need sanding and coating. Metal strip will make it hard to ever refinish the floors. If 3/4" wood you may need something like ditra to get the tile to similar height. I imagine after the wood is in you can put the ditra down then metal trim next to the wood. Some metal trims like Jolly are not vertical outside walls. plus you're going to want some type of expansion joint so I think you should consider the dilex-bwa.

John Bridge
06-30-2019, 07:57 AM
In the new custom homes I've done the tile always went in first and was then protected while the wood went in and was finished. :)